Mold or am I ok? Pic included

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to keep it to see where it goes, some say they've had this happen before and it's turned out just fine (on other threads at least) so I think it may be worth it to give this one a shot. Anyway, is it even worth dry hopping and then cold crashing at this point? Or would I be better off just waiting on more week and bottling? It's only been in the secondary since Saturday so I am unsure if waiting much longer would be beneficial or not. The confusing part is that the spots are not fuzzy like mold or have any visible legs, spores etc. From the sounds of it I’ll never rack after only 7 days in the primary ever again. Needless to say I’m very bummed, I was excited about this one when I bought it. If you guys are interested I’ll update once I give this one a taste when it’s finished. The taste at racking seemed normal and the aroma (checked last night) seems on par for an IIPA as well. I need a beer…..

Cheers,

Dave

Heck yes keep us updated. For the most part in the threads called is it infected we almost always agree on if it is infected or not. This time it seems like it is up in the air and I for one would like to learn from it.

Just thought to run this by you guys, there were a couple of similar "bubbles" right after I initially transferred, see pic.

This pic makes your story really intriguing to me. I have never had a batch get an infection so I am not an authority by any measure BUT you can clearly see similar bubbles in the pic you took immediatly after racking to secondary. Clearly, immediatly after racking to secondary is not enough time for an infection to "grow" on the surface of your batch so where did those bubbles come from? I'm assuming there was no sign of them in primary?
Weird!!!

This pic makes your story really intriguing to me. I have never had a batch get an infection so I am not an authority by any measure BUT you can clearly see similar bubbles in the pic you took immediatly after racking to secondary. Clearly, immediatly after racking to secondary is not enough time for an infection to "grow" on the surface of your batch so where did those bubbles come from? I'm assuming there was no sign of them in primary?
Weird!!!

No, when I pulled the lid off of the primary all was fine. Something I just thought of was that when I went to use my auto siphon the first two pumps didn't get it going, rather it pushed air back into the primary. Not sure if the oxygen being pushed down into the primary could've caused this process to ignite.

Heck yes keep us updated. For the most part in the threads called is it infected we almost always agree on if it is infected or not. This time it seems like it is up in the air and I for one would like to learn from it.

Will do for sure. Like I said, it tasted normal at racking and smells on par at the moment, I'm hopeful it's still be fine just maybe not what I was expecting. Thanks everyone for the honest feedback, I’m new to this forum and appreciate that everyone has been helpful rather than condescending of my noob questions.

Remember... if it is an infection, replace your siphon and tubing.

As one of the posters mentioned, start a session beer. Theres plenty of time. If you wanted your brother to try a hoppy homebrewn brew a pale ale and load up on the late addition hops. After 7 days dry hop right in the primary. On day 14 bottle. They should be ready by the time he visits if you have a warm area to let your bottles condition. If youre worried they wont be ready, add a half pack of champagne yeast to your bottling bucket. Your beer will be carbonated in just a few days

image-2366755223.jpg

Update: The bubbles from the original photo stayed about the same for the next 10 days after my original post. I dry hopped with 2oz of cascade on this past Saturday and moved it outside for a cold crash last night where it'll stay in the garage until this weekend (it's about 34F) in Chicago. I pulled out a sample with a sanitized turkey baster and WOW did it taste good. It's starting to look like this one will work out and taste fantastic. I'll update again after I bottle and they carb up. Thanks again for all of the help everyone.

Back