Almost eREADY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3asturd

Reaction score
Got a lot of my parts in, I'm so close to my first all grain electric brew day. It should be the worst beer ever, but I don't even care, I just wanna eBREW!
20120305_144241.jpg

I'll take more pictures as I progress through the control panel build.

Good luck!

I'm sure it will be good this e-beer!!! :rockin:

cheers

gm

Is that two small ssr's w heat sinks and one giant heat sink ? If so, why so many. Just asking because I am a few steps behind you. Do you care to share some info on where you bought your switches and lights?

hey... looks great. I just bought my Auberins stuff today.

Do you know the depth of the PID (I got the SYL-2352 ). They take up 48 x 48mm on the panel, but not sure how long they are.

What are you cutting the stainless enclosure with?

I'm scared to even touch it. I'll be using a cordless jigsaw with a fine tooth blade. I really want to use 1/16th DIN punches but I don't have the extra $500 to spare for 4 holes.

I'll be using a 22.5MM punch for the lights and switches

Is that two small ssr's and one giant ssr? If so, why so many. Just asking because I am a few steps behind you. Do you care to share some info on where you bought your switches and lights?

No it's just 2 small 40A SSR's that came with their own heatsinks. I purchased the large anodized external heatsink from TheElectricBrewery.com because you can't beat the deal.

hey... looks great. I just bought my Auberins stuff today.

Do you know the depth of the PID (I got the SYL-2352 ). They take up 48 x 48mm on the panel, but not sure how long they are.

I'm pretty sure they're spec'd at 88MM deep. Let me measure inches....wow 4.25 inches. Mounted depth is 4". Thats over 100MM. The SESTOS PIDs must have been 88MM.

No it's just 2 small 40A SSR's that came with their own heatsinks. I purchased the large anodized external from TheElectricBrewery.com because you'd can't beat the deal.

where did you get the SSRs from? i like that they include the heatsink

where did you get the SSRs from? i like that they include the heatsink

I bought them from an ebay store. JamesBondTB

I bought all my switches, buzzers, SSR's, and lights from him because he has good prices and free shipping. The SSR's came with the cover and heatsinks, I bought them before I realized I was buying the large heatsink, but it didn't really effect the pricing.

I bought the relays from ebay store ElectricParts because they have the covers.

Of course I bought my Auber PIDs and Timer from Auber. I also got the illuminated maintained push button 22MM switches from them because they had a great price and shipping was minimal.

I bought them from an ebay store. JamesBondTB

I bought all my switches, buzzers, SSR's, and lights from him because he has good prices and free shipping. The SSR's came with the cover and heatsinks, I bought them before I realized I was buying the large heatsink, but it didn't really effect the pricing.

I bought the relays from ebay store ElectricParts because they have the covers.

Of course I bought my Auber PIDs and Timer from Auber. I also got the illuminated maintained push button 22MM switches from them because they had a great price and shipping was minimal.

wait.. so you bought the SSRs from jamesbondtb or the elec repl parts store? the one on the jamesbondtb site are less than half the price and come with the heat sinks, i dont think the other one specifies about the heat sinks. The Jamesbondtb ships from China and that makes me leery so thats why I ask

I bought the SSRs from jamesbond. The mechanical relays i got from electricalparts.

Subscribed. I'm at about the same stride with you. Even got my timer from the same eBayer seller. Got my contactors from HVACUS though, on eBay. An american seller, I literally got them 2 days later for $9.75 with free shipping. Keep at it man! And what sort of build is this? 3 vessel I presume, one or two tier?

Sweet maybe we'll have questions we can answer for each other.

This is gonna be a single tier, 2 pump, 3 vessel eherms system. Yourself?

I'm a little behind you guys but I've been making my parts list for the same type of setup. Just trying to get my main power supply figured out.

Are you switching between elements or wiring them separately to use at the same time?

Sweet maybe we'll have questions we can answer for each other.

This is gonna be a single tier, 2 pump, 3 vessel eherms system. Yourself?

eBrutus2.0; I'm shooting for all hard plumbing and going to run two PWMs in parallel with the PIDs to allow for manual modification of the "P" value while I am standing over the contraption. The whole thing will be setup so that I can heat both vessels at the same time, if I wish, and will suck power from one 30a 240v and another 20a 120v supply.

I'm gonna wire them through the double throw swiych for one at a time use. But I have 60A to use in my brew shed si I may rewire later for dual use.

l3asturd said:
I'm scared to even touch it. I'll be using a cordless jigsaw with a fine tooth blade. I really want to use 1/16th DIN punches but I don't have the extra $500 to spare for 4 holes.

I'll be using a 22.5MM punch for the lights and switches

Stainless sucks to cut or drill. I wish I had my enclosure milled, and it's just mild steel. At least that way it's some else's problem if they screw it up.

Stainless isn't too bad if you have the right tools. Its not like you are drilling a block of it.

onthekeg said:
Stainless isn't too bad if you have the right tools. Its not like you are drilling a block of it.

True not drilling a block!?!!

A hint:

If you're not going to paint the stainless enclosure (why would you?), make sure to tape it up all over before cutting to avoid scratches, and go slowly. Use cutting oil.

Kal

Got some DIN rails, some wire managers, my Estop button, and my circuit breakers. Oh and a 22.5MM punch.

20120306_125143.jpg

Working on a rough draft of the panel layout. Man this is cramped. I wish I would have got the larger panel.

20120306_184911.jpg

l3asturd said:
Working on a rough draft of the panel layout. Man this is cramped. I wish I would have got the larger panel.

You just bought a few too many components. Use the critical ones and throw the rest out;)

Seriously, it looks good.

You just bought a few too many components. Use the critical ones and throw the rest out;)

Seriously, it looks good.

You've got a point. To be honest I already removed some stuff that I just couldn't fit. I have a backup panel I got for free. It's a lot bigger but doesn't look as nice. I think I'm satisfied with this layout, unless someone points something out that I didn't notice.

I totally forgot to mention what that big blank spot is in the upper left. It's a hb416pva power meter. It's 1/4 DIN as opposed to the standard 1/16 DIN PID size. It's the last thing that I'm waiting on for the front panel. Never guess what country it's coming from. Here's a pic:

2008021515522310.gif

l3asturd said:
I totally forgot to mention what that big blank spot is in the upper left. It's a hb416pva power meter. It's 1/4 DIN as opposed to the standard 1/16 DIN PID size. It's the last thing that I'm waiting on for the front panel. Never guess what country it's coming from. Here's a pic:

See? There's the fluff! Lay it out without that useless piece of coolness and see how it looks then.

+1 to the PIDs being too close. You may have problems with the wire/spades touching. They stick out the sides like this:

IMG_6701_letters.jpg

The enclosure is likely a small portion of your total budget. I would seriously consider spending the $100 on a properly sized enclosure.

Not sure if you're planning on panel tags too. Not sure if they'll fit.

Kal

Kal I measured from center to center on the PIDs, it's 2 5/8". That's almost exactly what your layout is, except yours are 2 1/2". I know it'll be tight, but, where needed, I may end up tinning the wire ends instead of using the fork connectors. I think the perspective on the picture I took makes them look closer than they really are.

I spent $180 on the enclosure because of it's stainless gauge. I also mock mounted everything close to the door edge to verify it wouldn't snag when closing the door. Of course I did that after lschiavo's concern. Haha.

20120307_073708.jpg

Kal I measured from center to center on the PIDs, it's 2 5/8". That's almost exactly what your layout is, except yours are 2 1/2".
Perfect! Just wanted to make sure you thought about it and obviously you did. Nothing worse than getting into it to only realize that things won't fit right.

(And thanks for looking up my spacing for me - you saved me some work). ;)

Kal

Question: Today I saved an aluminum enclosure from being scrapped at work. It's 20x16. It's aluminum, so I have no idea if it will look like crap after a few weeks outdoors. Does anyone have any experience with aluminum outdoors?

Here's the box compared to my stainless box (Aluminum on the left, stainless on the right):
20120307_174231.jpg

The box on the left of the picture looks anodized? I'm unfamiliar with how anodized aluminum looks.

Sweet, guess I did score then!

P.S. Stainless Steel 16x14 enclosure for sale, pm me.

Back