hefeweizen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livewir

Reaction score
I have a hefe that has been in primary for 2 weeks, used wyeast 3068, O.G. was 1.051, just took the lid off because I want to rack this onto some raspberries and there is still a krausen? I took a gravity reading and i'm showing it at 1.011, instructions from AustinHomeBrew say that i should expect 1.012, so I'm done fermenting..

So I guess my question is, is it normal for hefeweizen to still have a krausen this late in the game?

btw. I'm relaxing, not worrying, and having a homebrew. I'm just curious as this is my first hefe.

My hefes usually have a bit floating around even after 3 weeks. Since it gets several inches high during fermentation, I don't worry about a little left. Fermentation is done, I rack to my bottling bucket under the krausen remnants.

perfectly normal. if you would like to rack, feel free to siphon from under the krausen. or you could give it a slight swirl to knock some of it down and let it sit for a few days. or you could wait until it falls on its own.

i usually just wait anyway. a little more time will usually help your beer, not hinder it ;)

Back