Plastic Big Mouth Bubbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
someone please make a DIY one lol
cheese-balls.jpg

A mold (US) or mould (UK / NZ / AU / CA) is a fungus that grows in the form of multicellular filaments called hyphae.[1][2] In contrast, fungi that can adopt a single celled growth habit are called yeasts

From that Wikipedia thang.

A mold is also:
a hollow container used to give shape to molten or hot liquid material (such as wax or metal) when it cools and hardens.
synonyms:cast, die, form, matrix, shape, template, pattern, frame More
something made in a mold, especially a gelatin dessert or a mousse.
"lobster mold with a sauce of carrots and port"

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Mine came in today. I thought I would post some pics and my thoughts about them.

Here's a side by side compared to my 6 gallon Better Bottle. The Big Mouth is 6.5 gallons.

BigMouthBubbler06_zpsbd2d52a8.jpg

The diameter of the Better Bottle is 11". The Big Mouth is just a half inch smaller in diameter. I was hoping they would be a bit skinnier, but I think they had to keep the height so tall so there would be no issues using an auto-siphon (as you'll see in the pics). The height with the lid on but WITHOUT the stopper/airlock is about 21.5" tall. The Better Bottle is around 19.5"

A pic of the lid with the rubber stopper.

BigMouthBubbler05_zpsd7a12bf7.jpg

I was hoping the hole for the stopper would be the same size as the ones I use for my Better Bottles. Bummer, but at least this stopper will work with my stainless steel growlers I have from Deeps Woods when I use my beer gun to fill them.

A pic of the BMB with auto-siphon.

BigMouthBubbler04_zps1d519997.jpg

As you can see, you can easily slip the auto-siphon into the lid. The only downside is you can't use the clip to hold it in place as the siphon just barely touches bottom on the center of the Big Mouth. You have to remove the siphon clip if you tip the carboy to get the last remaining wort. Probably not a big thing for those who don't use one, but just thought I would mention it. Me? I'll just leave the clip off. No biggie.

Volume indentions.

BigMouthBubbler02_zps91485571.jpg

Very nice to see these! They are on two sides, 180 degrees of each other and in one gallon increments. The surface is flat, so I may put some of Bobby M's vinyl decals to use (I have some extras!)

Another side by side

BigMouthBubbler01_zps707d7883.jpg

This is just another side by side, but it has a pic of the other style of lid that came with mine. I have a dual port and single port lid. I don't know what I would use the dual port for or why I got it, but I'm sure one of you experienced brewers would know.

As what was mentioned before, the Big Mouths do feel a bit flimsy compared to the Better Bottles. My guess is due to the flat sides for the volume markings. I'm fine with that. The only negative is the smaller stoppers. I assumed my BB stoppers would work with these but they are too big. I also got solid stoppers by mistake, but they look like they would be easy to drill out. I may drill one of them out as I want to use them this weekend.

CO2 push...

Cheers!

That and being able to use a thief without removing the airlock.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dFzVdQvOgqs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dFzVdQvOgqs[/ame]

I'm glad I have them now. I also found they use 6.5 stoppers, so I guess I'll order a few of them to have on hand.

Do I see some mold on that Better Bottle?

Relentless. :-/ I acknowledged my misunderstanding. Clearly not enough though.

To stay on topic and not beat a very dead horse, I do wish I had bought the double hole lid. Using a their without removing the airlock would be nice. I think I'm going to order a second.

I went to my LHBS yesterday and bought a drilled stopper... it took a #7 stopper to fit, in case anyone wants to get one themselves w/o taking the lid in. :)

Thought it was a 6.5 stopper?

Picking up a few for a BIG 1.10 OG brew tomorrow night or Saturday :drunk:

I forgot to take the lid :drunk:

I did finally remember to get a new siphon. Went with a larger 1/2" unit. Claims 4 minute transfer :rockin:

Hey, would anyone recommend this BMB over a standard plastic carboy/bucket?

I'm pretty new to brewing (done a few Extract kits) and looking to get a second fermenter to keep me busy.

I'm pretty new to brewing (done a few Extract kits) and looking to get a second fermenter to keep me busy.

It's essentially the same thing, just easier to clean/retrieve hop bags etc

Time will tell if it's worth the $$ over a bucket. I have no reason to think it won't be used for many batches to come. We will see how a 1.1 OG Imperial Stout finishes in it's maiden voyage this weekend

I think my wife is going to get me one for my birthday. The only downside I see is that I currently hang my buckets from the joists in the garage. Might not be as easy with these unless I rig up something to hold them with.

I think my wife is going to get me one for my birthday. The only downside I see is that I currently hang my buckets from the joists in the garage. Might not be as easy with these unless I rig up something to hold them with.

You could always buy a Carboy Hauler... :) I have one of those and it fits quite well. :)

You could always buy a Carboy Hauler... :) I have one of those and it fits quite well. :)

I have one, but it's usually (or at least ought to be) sitting under a glass carboy!

They say these will fit inside a bucket.

I had that same thought right after I posted!

This isn't really a problem after all.

I really wish I could get a couple of these but my fermentation chamber is only 22" tall... :(

I used my Plastic Big Mouth Bubbler for the first time a week ago and bought a second one as a result. First, I tried a new technique to filter the wort going into the fermenter given the wide mouth of the Bubbler. I took an old BIAB bag I was not using and put it into the fermenter with the mouth of the bag tied around the mouth of the Bubbler. I then put a hose from the BK down into the bag inside the Bubbler. When I was done draining the wort, I slowly pulled the BIAB bag out and with it came the hop pellet mess. I also love the dual ported lid. I bought a thermowell for one port and dropped my thermometer probe into it. Much easier than taking readings by opening the lid over and over again. Finally, I really like the volume marks on the side. While I have a sight glass on my BK, my driveway is slanted, so I can never tell exactly how much wort I have in it. In addition, the BK won't tell me how much wort I actually tranfer into the fermenter. Great idea, great design.

Agree on all pints. My stout is still hanging out in the BMB 10 days later. I'll probably go to a secondary this weekend and let it chill in my cold storage room for a month or two. No rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just a good word on Northern Brewer, got my # 3 and #4 BMB and one of them was damaged at the bottom, sent em a pictures and within 30 mins I got an email saying that another one was on the way, really top notch customer service, will use them more in the future for sure...

Just a good word on Northern Brewer, got my # 3 and #4 BMB and one of them was damaged at the bottom, sent em a pictures and within 30 mins I got an email saying that another one was on the way, really top notch customer service, will use them more in the future for sure...

I've only had really great experiences with their customer service

Just racked my stout to a secondary BMB last night. Will clean up the crusty one tonight and it will be ready for a belgian in the coming weeks. :)

Back