Bochet stuck ferm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
This ones been in the primary for about 6 weeks now and has been sitting at around 1060 for a couple of week. I boiled 15 lbs clover honey about 2 hours and added water up to 5 gals. I pitched a starter of Wyeast 4184 and had good initial fermentation after my first nutrient addition. Temps have been steady at 66.

Since my second nutrient addition I have not seen any additional fermentation. I was planning on racking last weekend and found my gravity was still around 1060. The taste is obviously very sweet.

I stirred in up and moved it to a warmer temp and added more nutrient, but given what Ive read about this yeast strain, Im considering pitching a pack of D-47 to finish this up.

Any advice?

Yea Wyeast sweet mead is a "fun" yeast. I don't know what yeast nutrients you used but if it was only DAP "probably one of the most common of yeast nutrients" Then that may be part of the cause here. You need more natural nitrates/proteans like yeast hulls and B vitamins to help this yeast truck along. Sounds like they starved out and are done. Make a nice starter of the D47 like such and you will be fine:

2 cups warm water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp of yeast nutrients
5 fine chopped raisins

Sprinkle the yeast on top and cover with paper towel. Every 2 hours add 1/2 cup of must until you have just over 4 cups of volume total. You should see plenty of fermentation at the first must addition and it should continue for the whole 8 hour ordeal. Pitch that and you should dry out the mead.

Back