Multi step mash schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971hemicuda

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting this because i'm curious about a few things. I've setup a RIMS system that works really well for me, i know my efficiency, how the setup works, and i can do temp rests really well....but I asked a question about a mash temp for a Belgian the other day (resting my Golden Strong Ale at 148) and someone gave me a response of "do 144 at 35 min, 158 at 50 min" and I was puzzled by this. I had never done such a mash before. He was kind enough to give me a good explanation but it got me thinking...

Can I do this type of step mash for all my beers??

Also, and could I get a good explanation on HOW this type of mash schedule works (ok not HOW, but a more in depth explanation of why). I understand enzyme conversion, and the different temps that enzymes activate, etc, but I'm just trying to get a more indepth understanding. How does the above mash create both a highly ferment-able dry beer that's also malty...

If a light body beer would be 144@40, 158@40 would a medium body beer be say...
150@35, 158@40 or something like that?

Cheers my fellow brewers!

Back