Starch To Sugar Iodine Testing Question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIVETOBREW

Reaction score
Ive brewed about 25 batches All-Grain now and havent really cared for the number crunching portion of it... its been working and tastes great.. Last couple of batches have been 10 gallon batches of stuff i enjoy most....

i usually do a 60 min sach rest and temp depends on style and finish i want
ive read to be sure you have a full conversion you can test some wort with iodine and if it turns purple you still have some more starch to convert...

how is this done? my guess is pull a sample from the ball valve and pop a few drops of iodine into it and if it turns purple keep waiting??
when the full conversion is complete what color should it be??
how much iodine to wort should you add??

again, havent really had any problems with efficiency just want to make sure if theres sugar left im getting all of it converted...... any help would be great
:mug::mug:

the best way to do this is on a white plate. a couple drops of each will do. No reaction means no starch left to convert.

yeah, i usually just dip a table spoon in and put it on a small saucer. Iodine will turn a dark purple in any startch, and stay the ugly brown if there is no startch. Mix up your mash first to get a good sample, but you don't need much to test

My .02 on iodine conversion tests: they really aren't necessary. You are probably just as likely to get a false negative reading from husks or a large chunk of unmilled endosperm than a good reading. Mashing modern malts for anything close to 60 minutes at a tempertature within shouting distance of 150F is going to convert the starch. Stick your finger in the mash and taste it. It's going to be very sweet. :mug:

Ive always done the taste test, just wanted to be more efficent.... thanks for all the info
20# of grain always has me guessing is it complete... thought id give the iodine test a shot to ease the mind..

Iodophor instead of tincture of iodine??

Highjack warning!!!

So I do the finger taste test too and did the iodine test. Now being in Oklahoma, one of the Meth capitals of the USA, we can no longer get Iodine, unless perscribed by a Dr....... even Walgreens doesnt' carry it.

Desiring not to be on any more lists than I already occupy I used Iodophor. I did a test on the white plate to see if it would turn purple. My mash didn't change at all. So just to confirm I that the Iodophor would actually work I did it with a control and did the old cut potatoe experiementt. Yep it turned purple.

So I guess Iodophor will work too

Back