Iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm here from the west coast of Iowa. There seems to be a lot of Iowans joining up here lately. We'll take over the brewing world! Well maybe, if you guys know more than me.

Cheers

Just looked at your post count, you been around awhile.

Just started,I'm on my 3rd batch and also with a batch of sweet mead fermenting as we speak. It seems like there are clubs or groups out there, but nothing around me. If there was interest, maybe get together or find a club close by.

Hey Schlenkerla, I'm going to Story City tomorrow to do some work. Plan on stopping off at Beer Crazy on the way back. You are lucky to have such a good LHBS. Is it cold in Des Moines by any chance? Snow tonight or tomorrow? Not looking forward to getting on a Steel Roof tomorrow.

Ron

I'm going to Ames in a few weeks for work, but I am going to stop by Beer Crazy also. Then Olde main brewery in Ames, and maybe a nother in Des Moines if I can get away that much.

I noticed on your profile your in forestry, I'm on the grounds for the U of Iowa. Enjoying the balmy weather this year. It makes staying inside brewing the best thing to do.

Excellent, I am enjoying this nice weather as well. Any good brew shops in IC, I see there is one in Cedar Rapids and I would like to go to the one in the Quad Cities.

Hey Schlenkerla, I'm going to Story City tomorrow to do some work. Plan on stopping off at Beer Crazy on the way back. You are lucky to have such a good LHBS. Is it cold in Des Moines by any chance? Snow tonight or tomorrow? Not looking forward to getting on a Steel Roof tomorrow.

Ron

RonRock,

Looks like only chance of 1-2". Driving should be good!

Des Moines Weather, Des Moines, Iowa Weather and Local Forecast - KCCI Des Moines' Channel 8

Tell Mark John from the Pella Club says hi!

Guys - Wish me luck, I have an interview this week at a brewery north of Ames! I'm hoping its a controls engineer position!!! :rockin:

The only brew store we have in Iowa city that I know of is part of the Hy-Vee Liquor stores. I usually shop at the one in coralville.

Driving ain't what I'm worried about. It's the falling I'm thinking of.

I'll be sure and mention your name. Would that be best before I get the bill or after?

Just kidding of course. Best of luck with the interview.

Cheers to you Forrest. I think you need a second shop.

Oh I don't know. Maybe in Western Iowa. Think of it as a tax write off when you visit.

Yeah, I know wrong side of the state, but a guy's got to try.

Forrest, I like the pizza a Paglia's better but the beer choice's are not as good. Still thinking about opening a brew supply in this area? WE NEED ONE!!!

Driving ain't what I'm worried about. It's the falling I'm thinking of.

I'll be sure and mention your name. Would that be best before I get the bill or after?

Just kidding of course. Best of luck with the interview.

RonRock - Driving should ok not a lot of falling snow.

Up until I got laid off in December. I prolly spend $80 a month in Mark's shop. I could get lost there talking to him. Hell, I could be a 2nd hand helping, just cause I enjoy talking about brewing.

Mark used to give me free dry yeast at just about every other visit. I'd be like doh, now I got to find a recipe so I can use that yeast.

He gave me the dry Munich from the makers of Nottingham. Its make a pretty good wheat! I just used T58 on a Wit recipe.

I gonna have to get the makin's for a original bitter soon.

Excellent, I am enjoying this nice weather as well. Any good brew shops in IC, I see there is one in Cedar Rapids and I would like to go to the one in the Quad Cities.
The one in Davenport is mostly a wine store. They do have beer supplies, but nothing for kegging.

It's called Camp McClellen, the owner is Julie and her husband, and is located in the village of East Davenport at the base of Jersey Ridge Road. One block from the Mississippi.

I work at Rock Island just across the river so I get supplies there every once in a while.

I order all my stuff online. northernbrewer, midwest, and morebeer...

Back