sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
guys what is better: household sugar, brewers sugar, body brew, or spray malt? also is it best disolved beforehand in warm water as i'm getting quite reactive results when adding to my brew.

If by "spray malt" you are refering to dried malt extract (DME), that would be my first choice. It will clump a bit when you add it to your boil. Just add it slowly and stir thoroughly. If boilovers are an issue, move your pot off the heat while adding the DME. Be sure to stir a lot when you put it back on the burner to stop any undissovled DME from scorching on the bottom.

Depends on what contribution you are looking for...in general, the answer will be DME/Spray malt. Yes, you generally want to dissolve the sugar so that you can evenly & easily incorporate it into your brew.

Brown sugar, turbinado, molasses, invert and even table sugar are common in English & Scottish ales as well.

maltMonkey said:
Brown sugar, turbinado, molasses, invert and even table sugar are common in English & Scottish ales as well.
but in controlled amounts.

In general I warn novice brewers from 'sugar' because its too tempting to use 2lbs of dextrose at under $1 per pound, vs. 2lbs of DME, which my LHBS charges close to $5/lb.

malkore said:
but in controlled amounts.

In general I warn novice brewers from 'sugar' because its too tempting to use 2lbs of dextrose at under $1 per pound, vs. 2lbs of DME, which my LHBS charges close to $5/lb.
I agree. There are too many people who will substitute (badly) and wonder "what went wrong??"

z987k: I will agree...;)

Back