Dont salt the beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this seems to be an American thing. Never seen that done here in Europe. We have gose, yes, but that is also sour. Brilliantly fresh and light brew. Westbrook make a nice one. Sides that, this is unheard of here.

I might try it though the next time a corona with lime is the only thing I can get. Which fortunentally does not happen often.

Going to school in Baltimore, I've seen kids put Old Bay on the rim of their Natty Boh cans at parties

Inspired by this thread I actually did salt a beer yesterday. It was a homebrew from a mate, an oatmeal chocolate stout. Main issue with it was that he used cacao powder and thus it had that sharp anstringent bitterness of pure dark cacao powder. I thus proceded to add a pinch of salt and it really improved things. Greatly mellowed out and much more drinkable. I was impressed.

A few weeks ago I observed an older gentlemen add salt to his bud light. First, I will put fruit in my beer to "enhance" flavor (Corona, lime). However, I dont understand adding a few dashes of salt to my brew like Emeril. Second, "Chill" brewed by I think Miller, is advertised to have this such salt taste. Whats wrong with more hops to the wort. Is the American palate so weak for more bitterness yet the tang of salt will suffice.

Excuse my rant, but I hope my homebrew cronies will agree!

A German guy I know does this every time he comes over to the states and we go out for a beer, so I don't think it's an American thing.

Back