Worst Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghall

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a little over four years now and have had no major mishaps. I believe the universe was saving it all up for today.

Let me start off by saying I used to have a cheap ikea desk that had a heavy glass top. I long ago got rid of the desk but turned the glass top into a nice brew table on wheels. It has been great for the last year or so. Well today started off with a stuck mash (my first one). I tried to solve it by blowing in the runoff tube. Well my mash tun was very full at this point and the hot mash overflowed out the top when I blew. Stupid me I thought. Well it unstuck the mash, but as I was cleaning up the table I realized that some hot mash was under the glass. So I took the glass off the top and when I went to set it on my cold concrete garage floor the glass blew up! Yes blew up was a great way to say it. It exploded into thousands of little pieces like a car window. It cut me all over my arms and hands. I am guessing the heat + cold caused it to shatter.

It was easily my worst brew day. I am someone venting here, but I think it would be fun now to hear someone else's worst brew day (especially if it was worse than this one). Might make me feel a little better.

IMG_20130303_133213.jpg

IMG_20130303_133223.jpg

Glad you were not severely hurt and just a couple of cuts, from the looks of the pictures it looks like that glass was tempered and tempered glass is quite strong unless hit the right way on the side and then it does that. I'm sure next brew day will be better.

No more glass table tops for you! Seriously, glad you survived. That looks pulverized to a powder, like in a mortar and pestle... Wow.

Back