TV Shows you've given up on.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A bunch of us are complaining about how downright boring and disappointing the "Walking Dead" has become. And I was just looking at my Hulu queue I noticed that I have 4 episodes of Fringe on there, one about to expire that I just can't motivate myself to watch.

I've fallen out of love with that show a couple time since the first season, when it's individual episodes with some creepy phenomena (like the x files) it's interesting, but when they focus on the "mystery" and the alternative dimension plot it's boring, and I can't get into it.

Same with Alcatraz I watched the first 3 episodes, kinda liked it but the last couple weeks I haven't bothered. Nothing has sucked me in about it.

Then I think about something like Battlestar Galactica, that except for a couple laggy periods where my life got in the way (but I later caught back up online) the series held my attention pretty much through the entire run.

I'm still holding out for Walking Dead, ONLY I think, because it's about zombies and the zombiepocalypse, so it's compelling enough to, since I never read the comics, to see where it goes.

So what shows have jumped the shark in your own mind? What shows did you really like initially that just sort of slipped out of your awareness? Why?

Walking Dead blows. In fact, pretty much all TV sucks. I seriously would pay money to punch any of the people from the Big Bang Theory. Modern Family is terrible and even Sofia Vergera's boobs don't redeem it. A friend and I watched Parks and Rec and didn't laugh a single time, not even a smile. My theory is that Netflix and Hulu has made it so that so many people are desperate to find new **** to watch, they will watch pretty much anything.

I did like some TV. Arrested Development, Office UK, Seinfeld, The Sopranos. Great shows with brilliant writing. I still like the Daily Show from time to time, and Kitchen Nightmares is good.

Fringe, Breaking Bad, two right of the top of my head but I give up on a lot of shows.

I gave up on Fringe after 4 or 5 episodes. I also stopped watching CSI a few seasons ago, and never watched the final season of 24. Thinking of dropping True Blood as well - turning too much into a suckfest (pun intended) for fangirls.

I'm getting sick of channels.
History isn't History anymore. Its all about reality shows, Pawn Stars, Pickers, etc.
They should change the name to Current Event TV.
Storage Wars is so predictable. If they want reality, why are they planting something in there to see who makes the most money! BS that they find jewels and other expensive items each time. I am sure many people are jumping on the auction bandwagon to get rich now.
All the gator/swamp people/hog killing shows are redonkulous.

Fringe, Dexter, and Chuck. If Trueblood continues with the Bill and Eric love triangle with Sookie,I'll be axing that off my watch list. I remember Alan Ball making fun of Twilight cause of that type of crap and look what he's doing now ...

onthekeg said:
I'm getting sick of channels.
History isn't History anymore. Its all about reality shows, Pawn Stars, Pickers, etc.
They should change the name to Current Event TV.
Storage Wars is so predictable. If they want reality, why are they planting something in there to see who makes the most money! BS that they find jewels and other expensive items each time. I am sure many people are jumping on the auction bandwagon to get rich now.
All the gator/swamp people/hog killing shows are redonkulous.

You might want to check out Flying Wild Alaska. Probably the most genuine reality out there now. The daughter is kind of a dizz but easy on the eyes for male viewers.

I still like Big Bang Theory alot. I feel like Modern Family has really gone down this season. I have always liked Modern Marvels but I haven't seen any good new ones on my Tivo recently. On that note, our Tivo died yesterday and I am really trying to consider if it is worth replacing. Maybe cancel cable and go the netflix route.

Call me crazy, but I admit that I enjoyed watching Two and a Half Men, when Charlie Sheen was on there. I think his character such the stereotype of how most men would think and act, if they could get away with it. I think that it made for some good laughs over the years.

Even funnier is the fact that what seemed to be such an over the top, excessive character, was just a tatse of how the real Charlie Sheen lived.

I'm not an Ashton Kutcher hater (not saying that I'm a fan either), but the story line has become complete garbage. I've totally tuned out.

Call me crazy, but I admit that I enjoyed watching Two and a Half Men, when Charlie Sheen was on there. I think his character such the stereotype of how most men would think and act, if they could get away with it. I think that it made for some good laughs over the years.

Even funnier is the fact that what seemed to be such an over the top, excessive character, was just a tatse of how the real Charlie Sheen lived.

I'm not an Ashton Kutcher hater (not saying that I'm a fan either), but the story line has become complete garbage. I've totally tuned out.

Funny for this show, the reason why you don't like it is discernible, a major cast change. I don't know "why" I lost interest in Fringe for instance. It's got a good cast, and as a unabashed sci fi geek it has all the elements I should like, but it just doesn't work.

I compare it to warehouse 13 which I really like.

I wonder if it's because I don't like "ongoing subplots" at all. I want most of my shows to be self contained "units" -solve the crime, catch the bad guy, even if it's over a couple episodes like on Criminal Minds or Ncis which I love, but don't drag some subplot mystery out over the entire season, or worse the run of the series.

Dexter has been garbage for three or four seasons but I still watch it because my GF likes it. Used to be my favorite show. Breaking Bad was a bit weak last season, too, which was dissapoint.

The entire History Channel and National Geographic is heading that way as well. Those used to be my go to zone out and relax channels. Now I find myself repeating "This used to be the History Channel" or "This used to be the Discovery Channel". Now they're full of either reality TV shows or BS that is spun off to appear like real history or science (ie Monster Quest, Ancient Aliens, etc). The one TV reality show that I was really excited for was the brewing show on Discovery Channel with Dogfish Head but that didn't last too long...

I'm really hoping the reality TV show thing is going to end some day soon.

Sons of anarchy was a straight winner, I was hooked since the first episode. Seriously if you haven't seen it watch the first few episodes. The writing and acting is pretty great.

Other shows that I really got into was Dexter, breaking bad, and southland is actually pretty good too.

The first few seasons of the American version of the office were funny but this last season is absolutely terrible! Parks and rec had its hilarious moments but it can be dull too.

I tried getting into lost but that show sucks. I never understood why that's popular. Same with big bang theory...its lame.

To this day I still watch Seinfeld episodes haha, that's a classic.

Im sure there's plenty I'm forgetting but those are the ones that stand out to me now.

The only show that consistently does it for me is First 48. I love that show because it is the closest to the real thing that any cop show has ever been. "Cops" is BS because a lot of the time the cops are playing it up for the camera. And besides, routine patrol is something I'm fairly familiar with anyway ;).

Dexter has really tanked for me, although the way the last season ended could end up being a huge redeemer. Walking Dead is something I just can't stop watching, even though it has consistently disappointed this season.

Revvy, Battlestar was amazing. It actually managed to elicit emotions from me when it ended. That final episode, and what they implied with it, was fantastic and I'll never forget it. BUT, even Battlestar had a few "filler" episodes thrown in to ride out the success.

Sons of anarchy was a straight winner, I was hooked since the first episode. Seriously if you haven't seen it watch the first few episodes. The writing and acting is pretty great.

LOVE IT!!! One of my favorite. I actually grew up with older cousins who were 1%ers, and one of their member's houses was around the corner. (In my family most of my first cousins are 15-20 years older than me, their kids, my second cousins are all my age.) And we kids all played with each other. So I got to see a little of the "familial" aspects of life in a club (though none of the criminal activity or any of that part of the "life.") It was more like seeing of a bunch of folks in Colors wearing silly hats at a kid's birthday party kinda thing. So I really like that the show portrays all aspects of it, not just the drugs and violence and stuff.

Ten years ago, i never thought id say this, but I have given up on The Simpsons.

And, as awesome as Conan is, it's just not the same without the NBC writers and bits like driving the desk, staring contests, you-know-whating bear, If They Mated, etc.

And I've been watching the Daily Show since the Craig Kilbourn days but for whatever reason, I just can't get into it anymore.

I am starting to lose interest interest in Two & Half Men. Starting tuning out of The Office when Carrell left. Just got into Breaking Bad and SOA in the last month or so because there was nothing on I wanted to watch. Both of those shows are great. I'm almost done with Season 4 of BB and almost done with season 1 of SOA. Justified is another "don't miss" for me. Love it! Other than that I'm still into Fringe but not near as much this season. NCIS, House, Bones,etc...pretty much are the same shows they have always been, not much has changed. Although this is the last season of House so the it may start getting interesting as the write it out.

I actually feel like The Office was able to keep pace after Steve Carell. I like it just as much, if not better because of the increased time some of the other characters are getting.

The first season (six episodes) of "The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret" (David Cross/Will Arnett) was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Absolutely epic. It's on Netflix streaming, watch it. Cross is playing a sad-sack, loser temp worker who suddenly gets promoted to sell energy drinks to the British market, and it's just a series of horrible, horrible lies that he tells and bad decisions that he makes and he just keeps digging himself deeper and deeper into the ****.

The second season, which just ended a couple nights ago, was a giant steaming turd. The whole thing. They basically try and explain (needlessly) the whole backstory, and the whole show just doesn't work. It's entirely unnecessary - if you're OK with filling in a few holes yourself, the first season works perfectly well on its own. The whole tone of the show changes - it's less about this one guy just spinning faster and faster, out of control, and it's now trying to be something completely different.

So, there's that.

EDIT: Oh, and "Simpsons" has been crap for what... ten years? Twelve? "South Park" I don't really watch much anymore, either.

I still like Big Bang Theory alot.

I use the big bang theory as a friendship litmus test. If you like it, it will be very unlikely we can ever be friends.

I'm about ready to give up on How I Met Your Mother. Kumar (From Harold and Kumar go to Whitecastle) is TERRIBLE and the "Robin" episode this season had me ready to never watch again.

The office jumped the shark when James Spader got naked.

EDIT: Oh, and "Simpsons" has been crap for what... ten years? Twelve? "South Park" I don't really watch much anymore, either.

I think its only been "crap" since about 2006. Its started its decline in 2002, with a handful of memorable moments in 4 years. And garbage since.

Call me crazy, but I admit that I enjoyed watching Two and a Half Men, when Charlie Sheen was on there. ... I'm not an Ashton Kutcher hater (not saying that I'm a fan either), but the story line has become complete garbage. I've totally tuned out.

Yup. Two and a Half Men is the only sitcom (or for that matter any situation drama) that I watched regularly. Was really a great show.
Ashton Kutcher creeps me out. Don't watch anymore.
It's only a matter of time for that show.

The other tv program I've had enough of is Tavis Smiley. I used to watch regularly, but his attitude and choices have changed since he got so tight with that racist freak he's been hanging around with. Smiley has become wildly biased to the point of appearing unhinged at times. He's really shown his true colors I guess. I had thought better of him ... I was wrong. What a huge disappointment.
I could really go on with a lot of pointed ranting about that dynamic but I won't.

The only show that consistently does it for me is First 48. I love that show because it is the closest to the real thing that any cop show has ever been.

I got a chance to meet a bunch of the camera guys and producers for the First 48, some of the same guys shot and produced Boston Med... They say that it is the "realist" thing on television.

Season two of The Walking Dead was a chore to watch... ...until the last episode, which was awesome (even though I knew it was coming). I doubt I'll tune in for the next season. My wife has just discovered Breaking Bad, which means I'll be watching that. The season of Dexter with John Lithgow was a masterpiece. The one that followed was rubbish (that female forehead ruined it for me). Grimm is just terrible. I'll still watch The Simpsons and almost all the cartoons.

30 Rock. I thought the first couple of seasons had snappy writing and some comic genius at times. Then, I stopped watching for a few episodes and when I came back, suddenly all was all about the characters having babies and the plot lines are just like every other mediocre sitcom. No depth. It was like watching a different show, which was an exceptional disappointment given my strange attraction to alec baldwin.

First thing that comes to mind is House. I used to really like that show and I still record and watch it if time allows, but it's getting dangerously close to losing me completely.

I too gave up on Fringe (bad time slot, missed a few episodes, and it just lost my attention). It's sad because I really liked the show when it started out. When I tried to pick it up again and they had that new guy with the glasses as Olivia's primary partner that was the end of that. Haven't watched it since.

I preface this with the fact that I'm a chick - but Grey's Anatomy was a show that I never missed for like 4 years or so. That was until that whole Izzy ghost sex plot. I completely stopped watching the show and only recently picked it up again because of the buzz I heard about the hospital shooting episodes. It's still much more fluff than medical drama, but with George and Izzy gone the annoying characters have gotten the ax and the show is much better for it. Now if they would only get rid of Teddy....

Most enjoyable show on TV right now for me - Revenge. Deliciously fun and fairly well written (again, I'm a chick.)

As a gun enthusiast I had high hopes for Top Shot. Pro shooters, wide array of weapons, challenging shots... But instead of being about the best shooters, it turned into Survivor with guns. The minute I saw people aligning themselves to vote the best guys into elimination I stopped watching that crap.

Fringe was a no go for me. Cringed thru a couple episodes and moved on.

I really like Hawaii 5-0, and still enjoying Grimm, but worried about their ability to sustain good episodes.

I'll say this tho, Top Gear is simply the best show ever. I have had myself in several laughing fits where I can't breath watching that show.

Used to watch House, but I'm bored with it.
My sis-in-law told me about Game of Thrones on HBO. Been watching the first season this past weekend: seven episodes so far. And three more to go. Season 2 begins April first. It is really good. Bloody, gorey, nudity, and nudity.

You might want to check out Flying Wild Alaska. Probably the most genuine reality out there now. The daughter is kind of a dizz but easy on the eyes for male viewers.

I'm a Pilot and Aircraft Mechanic, and I can not get into that show at all.

Folks I work with rave about Pickers, but I can't get into it, and I have a house full of gas pumps, slot machines, antique propellers etc. so it should be right up my alley.

I also really like the BBC Top Gear, but the US version is MEH

2.5 men I quit watching when Mr Tiger Blood Imploded

I was never dedicated to CSI NY, but watched if home on Friday night, I can't seem to get into it at all since Melina Kanakaredes left the show, the new chick's character just isn't interesting to me.

I gave up on Fringe after 4 or 5 episodes. I also stopped watching CSI a few seasons ago, and never watched the final season of 24. Thinking of dropping True Blood as well - turning too much into a suckfest (pun intended) for fangirls.

I made it through the first season.

No regrets.

Season two of The Walking Dead was a chore to watch... ...until the last episode, which was awesome (even though I knew it was coming). I doubt I'll tune in for the next season. My wife has just discovered Breaking Bad, which means I'll be watching that. The season of Dexter with John Lithgow was a masterpiece. The one that followed was rubbish (that female forehead ruined it for me). Grimm is just terrible. I'll still watch The Simpsons and almost all the cartoons.

Watching season 4 of Dexter now with John L in it. Sucks to hear the following season was a disappointment, but its almost baseball season anyway. That is all the TV this Guy needs!
Dexter is the only show the Mrs. and I can agree on. She loves bev hills housewives, intervention, what not to wear, sisterwives, etc. Is there any worse TV?

She loves bev hills housewives, intervention, what not to wear, sisterwives, etc. Is there any worse TV?

Dance Moms and Jerseylicious.

I've given up on Tosh.0, it was funny at first but your can only watch a subpar standup comedian read mediocre one liners from a teleprompter for so long.

Latest posts

Back