Mash Water Levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOrange

Reaction score
So i ordered a kit for an Irish Blonde Ale from northern brewer which they messed up and didn't mill my oat malt. Now i have 9.75 lbs of milled 2-row mixed with 1 lb umilled oat malt. They are going to send me a lb of MILLED oat malt to add to my recipe since i have nowhere near me to go have this milled. My question is when adding my water for the mash do i take into account the unmilled oat malt AND the milled oat malt or should i just act like the unmilled stuff isn't even there? Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is only my 3rd AG batch. Thanks in advance.

Even though it is unmilled itis going to suck up some water however the sugars/starches you will get from it will be minimal....I would add water assuming you have 11.75# total malt accounting for both the milled and unmilled portion. It will most likly suck up a little less since it is not milled but it will suck up something. If you are looking at a mash to grist ratio of 1.5 qts/lb (as an example for the blonde) you will need approximately 17.5 quarts of water for mash in....

Back