Restarting stuck fermentation on Wyeast 1335

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeG

Reaction score
Hi guys. First time posting.

So I'm brewing a Surly Bender clone. I brewed on Sunday, pitched 1335 at 72ish. Within a couple days it was fermenting near 80, so I put the fermenter in a water bath in a gatorade cooler and dropped it down to 70ish. Then temps started dropping dramatically after removing it from the water bath. Within a day it was sitting all the way down at 58F. For three days in a row I have the same gravity reading (1.023), and it's far from my target of 1.015. Fermentation seems stuck.

So, I've been looking into ways to restart it. I've raised temps (it's sitting near 67 currently) and have given the fermenter a swirl to rouse the yeast. No activity. Any suggestions?

Here is a thought: I am bottling a porter today out of a secondary fermenter. Would racking on to the yeast cake help potentially? My major concern with this, though, is that roasted coconut was added, so I'd be adding those flavors. But, if it's the only I'm salvaging this beer, I'm willing to do it.

Thanks for helping with my noob questions. Happy brewing!

its deffinitly worth a shot but if your going to rack ontop of the yeast cake make sure you wash the yeast with distilled or deoxygenated h20 so you don't transfer the coconut flavors. There's threads on here about yeast washing if you haven't done it.

Back