Tax on Beer Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garf6819

Reaction score
My buddies and I were having this discussion about taxes on the beer ingredients. We live in Texas and apparently we have been buying ingredients from HB stores and being charged tax on these items. In Texas all unprepared food products are tax free. The ingredients in beer are unprepared food products but we all seem to be charged tax on them. Maybe AHB or other store can chime in and set us right on this.

We are charged tax if we purchase from an on-line-in-state merchant. We are charged tax if we drive down to the corner HBS, we are charged tax constantly. Out of state merchants are always tax free.

We are charged tax if we purchase from an on-line-in-state merchant. We are charged tax if we drive down to the corner HBS, we are charged tax constantly. Out of state merchants are always tax free.

Well technically, even if you buy from an out of state merchant it isn't tax free. Sure, they don't have to collect and remit sales tax on sales to you, but you are supposed to self-assess and pay a use tax on everything taxable that you purchase in another state and use in your state.

Nobody does it, so the states are getting smart about it. If your state's income tax return has a line for use tax, and you put zero but did buy something that use tax uis used on, then you've filed a fradulent income tax return, and the statute of limitations never runs out. If you leave it blank, you didn't file a complete tax return, and the statute never runs out.

:(:drunk:

Yea if you buy grain or malt at a grocery store you don't pay tax but the LHBS does charge tax on everything. I does not seem right.

I live in TX and pay no taxes on beer ingredients. Equipment is a different story. If you are being charged on your ingredients in TX, mention it to your LHBS or get a new one!

Neither Austin Homebrew nor my LHBS charge sales tax on anything except non-food items. My last order from AHS was about $30, but I was only charged sales tax on the shipping charges, which still sucks but it was only $0.58.

Wow, two "awesomeness" references...that must mean it's good.

By the way, just knew I'd get a rise out of you guys. I'm not going to turn the sales tax thread into a BBQ wars thread. I'm sure there's some guys in Memphis and North Carolina that would like a say in this.

Good BBQ may involve beef brisket. Awesome is reserved for pulled pork butt and baby back ribs (best ribs are from Memphis). Bologna does not equate, regardless of what the dimwits around here (Oklahoma) think. KC has some good sauce. ;)

There's sales tax on prepared BBQ here too. Oh well gonna start my taxed Scottish Ale .

Memphis Ribs are awesome. "Bubba" served me up a few from his rib hole behind the Peabody Hotel. You gotts go there just for the ribs. But I don't know if you can call that BBQ, I think it deserves its own genre.

Back