Recommending Great Bottling Bottles (Swing-Top)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
I thought I would share a great source of swing-top bottles for anyone interested. Monchshof Schwarzbier comes in great 500 mL swing-top bottles for $3.99 each at a Total Wine store near me. I figure instead of paying $2 for a bottle at the LHBS or an online supplier, I'll get these which are probably better quality. The best part though, is the beer that comes in them is awesome! It's wonderfully roasty with big chocolate flavor and a subtle hop aroma that balances everything perfectly. It's delicious, and at only $4 a bottle, a steal. I've been using them for a while but just decided it would be nice to share the secret with those who didn't know it. Check them out, you wont be disappointed!

2969836391_e55f287ed8.jpg

Nope, you arent the only one.

I do not think I will ever go to kegs.

I only drink a few times a week, and I like to share. I do not particularly like bottling, but do not find it that tedious. I have 25 1l swingtops, 20 .5l swingtops, 20 .5l crown caps, 25 22oz bombers, 48 16 oz ezcaps... I usually do about half and half big bottles and 12ozers for samples and to give away.

Thanks for the tip on the bottles. I got a bunch like that from craigslist complete in plastic case. They are much better quality than the ezcap bottles.

I don't see myself ever going keg so thanks for the tip. Whenever I go to a store that sells beer I look for swing top bottles. The stores near me don't carry any, but I keep looking.:mug:

I recently found Schwelmer beer locally, which comes in both .5L and 330mL sizes, with very nice, thick brown glass swing-top bottles. I've seen their Pils, Hefeweizen and Bernstein, which is an amber lager.

In Portland, OR area, New Seasons store has the beer, along with another 2 german brands, all three great beers, swingtops. I use them for bottling, too, they work great. I also use .5l Grolsch, and 1l swingtops from the homebrew store.

Do the Monchshof Schwarzbier swingtops accept the same replacement gaskets that are sold for EZ-cap bottles?

If so I'm definately picking up a case of that at my local Total Wine and More.

Do the Monchshof Schwarzbier swingtops accept the same replacement gaskets that are sold for EZ-cap bottles?

I've never had to replace a gasket so I don't know. You could probably pick up a single to try it out though.

They should... They look identical to the German swingtop bottles I got off of Craigslist. They were Erdinger IIRC, and the replacement ones work great.

Schwelmer also has an Alt. I picked one up on the 4th of July when I was in Connecticut from Stew Leonards.. the huge one with animitronics? The alt was a decent rendition... there are others I prefer, but to find an example on the shelves always excites me nevertheless...

And I bottle in these German .5L bottles as well... I have 200 of them (ten cases in plastic racks).

340259951_ba47121364.jpg

Sounds like a nice beer, but I despise swing-tops, after duly giving them a whirl for a while, and use a bench capper and crown caps almost exclusively now, so I'm not buying the stuff for the bottles - if I even can find any. Managed to give away a pile to someone that liked them, still have a few hanging around. Doubt I'll ever keg.

You don't have to be a bottler to appreciate the Schwarzbier flip tops. I have two kegs and a counter-pressure bottle filler. The flip-tops make it much easier to bottle from a keg. Sometimes there's just not enough time to move a bottle to the capper before it starts overflowing. They're easy to label, and you can even ask friends to return the bottles without feeling too horribly cheap.

Hey! When I do bottle, I love to use stoneware bottles with the flip top. I have about a dozen of them now and would like to get around 40. Does anyone know where I can buy empty ones? I can find them at the liquor store (full) for between $10-20 each, depending on the brew. If I have to, I'll continue to do it that way. Color and size can vary, but this is what I'm looking for.

IMAG1123.jpg

Back