Making my first starter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
After reading about how certain beer styles can only be authentically achieved by liquid yeast in contrast to that of dry yeast, I decided I would make a starter for my upcoming German weise beers. I read the frequently asked questions section and so I ordered half a gallon glass container, some dry wheat malt extract and a pack of Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068. So my question is, since one usually does a started with about 1 cup of DME, does this started somehow impart the finall product of whatever beer you might be making? Right now it isn't a problem, since I am doing a Hefeweizen, but what if I decide to do some other kind of brew that isn't wheat based and use a starter done with 1 cup of Wheat DME?

Start off with a pint of water and 1/2 cup of Wheat DME. That will get you going. This is from John Palmer's book. Get-Er-Going a day before you brew.

Thanks for the info. I will follow the steps as indicated on the book. As of now I have set the smack pack at around room temperature (already burst the nutrient pack) and either do a starter tomorrow night or sunday. I plan on brewing this coming monday, so I hope it wont be a problem.

Back