Oktoberfest Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Brew Guy

Reaction score
I am getting close to bottling my first beer. It was the Power Pack Porter kit from Midwest. It will spend 1 month in primary then I will bottle. I have about two weeks until my primary will be empty, so I want to start ordering my supplies. I would like to do an Oktoberfest, but lack the ability to lager. I have read that you can make an approximation by using an Ale yeast. Would a California Steam ale yeast be the best for this? I can consistently keep the temp at 64. Does anyone know of a dry yeast that would work for this? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

I did the same thing. However if someone advised me on the site to use White Labs WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast. It will ferment pretty clean up to 65F and still keep some of the lager characteristics, so if you can cool your beers down in the low to mid 60's you should be able to produce a close approximation.

From the White Labs Site:

This yeast is used to produce the "California Common" style beer. A unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics. Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers.
Attenuation: 65-70%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 58-65°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

Same question, different temperature. I really want to do an Oktoberfest, but my basement is at a steady 74 degrees. Is there an ale yeast out there that would work well?

I made an oktoberfest ale last year with Nottingham and it turned out great. I kept the fermentation temperature down to 65F which really minimized the esters and made a nice clean tasting beer.

Same question, different temperature. I really want to do an Oktoberfest, but my basement is at a steady 74 degrees. Is there an ale yeast out there that would work well?
74F is too warm for pretty much any ale yeast (fermentation generates a lot of heat, your beer will be 80+). You'll need to work out some kind of cooling method.

I have already fermented a bock(ale) and a wheat at these temps. How does the higher temp. affect the beer? So for they have both been pretty tasty.

Due to free central AC I am able to keep a small room in my apartment at 60. If I used the Nottingham ale yeast to make an Oktoberfest would the fermentation push the temp over 65? I figure if it does I can always go with the bucket of water and t shirt method of cooling.

I have already fermented a bock(ale) and a wheat at these temps. How does the higher temp. affect the beer? So for they have both been pretty tasty.
High temperatures generate a lot of fruity esters and fusel alcohols, those are the ones that give you a wicked headache if you have a bit too much. They also give the beer a hot alcohol bite. Try getting your fermentation temperature down a lot on your next batch and I bet you'll see a big difference in taste.

Due to free central AC I am able to keep a small room in my apartment at 60. If I used the Nottingham ale yeast to make an Oktoberfest would the fermentation push the temp over 65? I figure if it does I can always go with the bucket of water and t shirt method of cooling.
Nottingham is fairly neutral even up towards 70F so you'll be in good shape.

That sounds good, except I don't have the equipment to do all grain. Does anyone know if this would be the correct recipe for the 5 gal extract version of BierMunchwer Oktoberfast? Also most of the kits I have seen use Hallertau hops, is that the traditional hop to use, or should it be the Tettnang?

Oktoberfest (BierMuncher)
Oktoberfest/Marzen

Type: Extract
Date: 7/5/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.25 gal
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (4 Gallon)

Ingredients

3.86 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 41.16 %
1.40 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 14.95 %
1.33 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 14.23 %
1.15 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 12.25 %
1.09 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 11.61 %
0.54 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.80 %
1.27 oz Tettnang [3.20 %] (60 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
0.63 oz Tettnang [3.20 %] (45 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.63 oz Tettnang [3.20 %] (30 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure, as I've never done extract brews or converted to extract, really. It definitely looks like a good start.

It seems that the hop quantities are awfully high... But that goes back to the never-converted-to-extract thing.

Hopefully someone with more experience in Extract & Steep will jump in and save me here...... Sorry I overlooked that when I made my suggestion! That's my bad!

As far as hops, I would think that Hallertauer would be OK for this since they are low-AA and German... But I know BM's recipe is supposed to be pretty tasty as-is... if you could find Tett or Willamette, I would go that way... But there's only one way to find out... ;)

Latest posts

Back