water for full boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
just bought a house and once things settle a little i'll be getting back into brewing (been 2 months sice my last!!!) i'm still on extract until this fall probably, but the main question is....can you use a garden hose to fill up your water, considering you let it run a few seconds after just turning it on to run out what was left in there. or what does everyone do if thats bad?

Thats what I do, I just let it run for a minute and its good. There have been a few threads debating whether this is safe or not. Its perfectly fine.

In 99% of houses, the garden hose is connected to a water line inside the house, which also feeds the kitchen sink, bathrooms, etc...the only difference being inside the hose and the end of it...

sweet...yeah mine comes from inside the house, i was more worried about the rubber hose itself. have you ever drank from one that you haven't let the water run for a bit. cool, thanks everyone!

I would buy a RV hose . And use it only for that, garden hose's are in contact with lots of chemicals all the time in and around the yard Fido may have urinated on it or worse. They sit out in the sun with water inside them and can harbor a load of bacteria plus vinyl hose's are made with chemical substances in it to keep the hose flexible. I know its going to get boiled anyway but why would you want that stuff in there?

For what 10-15 bucks you can get a DWS hose. I have an RV and I go so far as to sterilze the hose everytime we go out. Just put it in a bucket of water with a few drops of clorine.

I'd take it right out of the faucet on the outside of the house to avoid any hose issue. The thing to bear in mind about that water, though, is that typically it is city water that isn't routed thru the house's softener.

I always use use water out of the tap... mainly because I always use HOT water. Why not start your water temp at 110 instead of 60 degrees?

If you do use your hose, I'd definately run it a little bit to clear everything out of it... there was a recent study showing high levels of lead from a typical garden hose (most are made in China of course).

I only use in the house tap water. I agree with not wanting to use a hose that has been sitting in the sun and laying in the dirt for a week since the last time I used it. Nothing but the finest kitchen tap water for me and my beers!

springer said:
I would buy a RV hose . And use it only for that, garden hose's are in contact with lots of chemicals all the time in and around the yard Fido may have urinated on it or worse. They sit out in the sun with water inside them and can harbor a load of bacteria plus vinyl hose's are made with chemical substances in it to keep the hose flexible. I know its going to get boiled anyway but why would you want that stuff in there?

For what 10-15 bucks you can get a DWS hose. I have an RV and I go so far as to sterilze the hose everytime we go out. Just put it in a bucket of water with a few drops of clorine.

read springer, and then again.

Run your run of the mill garden hose for a bit. Collect what comes out of it and you will then see that springer gave you great advice.

Cheap N easy works for us. Cheap N Dumb does not.

We always start with cold water. Hot water can pick up even more minerals and stuff from the hot water tank, which basically acts as a dirt catcher and contaminant concentrator for all the ick in your local water supply.

Just my 2 cents,

M.

+1

Everything I have ever seen says to start with cold water. (cooking and brewing). Plus, It sounds crazy, but the boil time is either the same or cold is faster.

Back