Literary References to Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
So while on a Sierra backpacking trip I brought along a copy of Edward Abbey's "Desert Solitaire". In one of the chapters he makes mention of the "crock of homebrew" sitting in the corner of his ranger's quarters. Thought it was kind of cool...especially since he was describing a time in the late 50's/early 60's. Has anybody else ever come across any mention of homebrewing in the literary world?

libeerty said:
Not in a book but Hank on Breaking Bad brews.

Also not in a book but there is a minor character on How I Met You Mother in the later seasons who homebrews. Also the main character in the show Ted, his father is a homebrewer.

Pecafaced said:
Also not in a book but there is a minor character on How I Met You Mother in the later seasons who homebrews. Also the main character in the show Ted, his father is a homebrewer.

Really? How could I have not noticed this. I watch that show religiously.

Really? How could I have not noticed this. I watch that show religiously.

If I remember, it was only in one episode, shortly after the shootout with Tuco. He was on edge and was suffering from PTSD. In the opening scenes, he was bottling with a bench capper and sliced his hand. Then later, he freaks out when he hears what he thinks is gunfire in the middle of the night, and it turns out it is bottle bombs exploding in his garage.

To keep on OP's subject, Desert Solitaire is one of my all time favorites. I haven't read it in a while, but this makes me want to revisit it.

oops, you were talking about a different show. I watch Breaking Bad religiously. And apparently I don't read threads too closely.:drunk:

If I remember, it was only in one episode, shortly after the shootout with Tuco. He was on edge and was suffering from PTSD. In the opening scenes, he was bottling with a bench capper and sliced his hand. Then later, he freaks out when he hears what he thinks is gunfire in the middle of the night, and it turns out it is bottle bombs exploding in his garage.

To keep on OP's subject, Desert Solitaire is one of my all time favorites. I haven't read it in a while, but this makes me want to revisit it.

oops, you were talking about a different show. I watch Breaking Bad religiously. And apparently I don't read threads too closely.:drunk:

And in last season's finale, he said it might be time to do another batch of his brew. One of the writers must be a homebrewer.

Hey guys...OP here:mug: I don't watch much tv..thus the thread title LITERARY REFERENCES. Doesn't anyone read books anymore? C'mon homebrewing has to be mentioned in some other books, besides homebrewing books of course.

One thing I can think of is in "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant. It's about the lives of biblical-era women, and she wrote about how brewing beer was part of their regular household duties.

Latest posts

Back