Ice Cream Cooler Conversion....to build or not to build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natebomb

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question, I have access to two ice cream coolers similar to the pic posted for $25 each. I'm curious if I should risk it and attempt to build a keezer out of them or if I should just stick to a free freezer I can get locally. I like the design of the ice cream chest but not sure if it's doable. Does anyone know what kind of extra work would need to be done vs. a traditional chest freezer? Thanks ahead.

Glass-Door-Freezer-Ice-Cream-Freezer-Arc-Glass-Door-Freezer.jpg

I think if you want either a tower/coffin/collar with taps like most keezers around here, that looks like a tough conversion due to the sliding glass doors.

If you just want to use the cobra taps, it'd be perfect. Also +1 for the fermentation chamber.

For $25, you can't go wrong either way :mug:

Wonder if you could flip that thing around (use the back of the freezer as the front of your keezer) and run lines up and through the back of that upper display board? Maybe depends on whether the molding along the top of the opening is big enough to accept whatever tubing/valves you are gonna use. I don't have any experience with this kinda DIY stuff, but it might work. Either way, $25 bucks is a great deal, and you could always use it as a fermentation chamber, as stated above, and keezer that free freezer you have access to. I'd get all of it, and see what you can make work.

buy both of them asap.....

I'm pretty sure you can fab your own lid and collar for these fairly easily

-=Jason=-

Even if you dont want to use them, buy them. At $25, that's a ridiculusly great deal. Hang on to them and businesses will buy them from you for a lot more than that. Most businesses rent freezers like that from the distributors for the product, and it's expensive.

Back