Just cracked open my frist home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
well i just opened up my frist home bre.. its a raspberry wheat and all i can say is damn what a freaking head it has.... i think i might have put in a little to much sugar for carbing.. cause i figured it out at a 5.0 carb lvl at 4.5 gallons of beer but it came out to be 4gallons of beer

PIC_0185.jpg

PIC_0187.jpg

taste really good ...very strong in the raspberry flavor wich what i was looking for

Depending on how long your beer has been in the bottle, combined with good pouring techniques, you can reduce the amount of head you get by quite a bit.

Then again... some don't want that.

Congratulations, and welcome the the circle of beer!

My ales have been getting those thick,creamy/velvety heads the last few batches. I think we're just getting our processes down well enough to get good flavor & great head...:D

Looks awesome to me! Great job, man.

I agree that maybe a combination of conditioning time and pouring techniques could possibly reduce the head. I know with my own beer, depending on how I pour it, I can get anywhere from a quarter inch head to a half-glass head.

Congrats! :mug:

well i really think i did use to much sugar to do the carbing with .. cause i had 2 bottles that just exploded all over the kitchen when i opened them... or maybe i the sugar water did not mix up enoff ... cause when i put the sugar water in the bottling bucket i tried to put hose in so that when the beer when into it bottling bucket that it would move the beer in a circle motion to mix it up so i would not have to go in wiht a large spoon and chance of getting oxygen mixed in

unionrdr said:
My ales have been getting those thick,creamy/velvety heads the last few batches. I think we're just getting our processes down well enough to get good flavor & great head...:D

I've given thought to shaving with mine as it is so thick and creamy. Cascade shaving cream. Yummy!

Congrats!

My first brew (cracked last weekend for the first time) could have used some of that head.

i-MNLP57v-M.jpg

joe

ok a little update on teh beer status .. its kinda weird after open up a nother couple... that either it has carbonation ... or it has nothing.. (either all or nothing)..... guess the sugar water did not mix up to well...

but on a nother subject after two beers im feeling freaking great!!! this are some strong ass beers... oh yah what i needed after a very stressfull night of work.....

now i cant wait for my second batch... wich im going to keg.. im brewing up the dogfish head orange wheat beer....

I just finished brewing my first beer yesterday. I can't wait til I get to make my "Just cracked my first" Thread....congrats! It looks great!

I made a whole batch that I undercarbed. It's been at room temp for probably 3 or 4 months now and I get no head. Only use it for marinades now

hey is there any way other then using a og and fg to tell the alcohol% cause im thinking the beer is alot higher then 7% because when i made the beer it had a og of 1.070 then i added 1.5lb of raspberry puree after i took the og..... then i took the fg when it was at 1.020 then moved it to the secondary and added a nother 1.5lb of puree and 2lb of frozen raspberrys..... so im figuring that the og was higher then 1.07 and after i took the fg of 1.02 it got pushed up after adding the other 1.5lb puree and frozen fruit....

i know its got to be higher then 7% cause the other night after i got out of work and had 2 beers i was feeling really good off of them....

According to your clock on the stove you waited until after noon! Or, after midnight... Whichever, get another batch going, you will be out soon!

I just finished brewing my first beer yesterday. I can't wait til I get to make my "Just cracked my first" Thread....congrats! It looks great!

I'm in the same boat, I just brewed my first batch on friday, and can not wait to try it. This patience thing is tough.

hey is there any way other then using a og and fg to tell the alcohol% cause im thinking the beer is alot higher then 7% because when i made the beer it had a og of 1.070 then i added 1.5lb of raspberry puree after i took the og..... then i took the fg when it was at 1.020 then moved it to the secondary and added a nother 1.5lb of puree and 2lb of frozen raspberrys..... so im figuring that the og was higher then 1.07 and after i took the fg of 1.02 it got pushed up after adding the other 1.5lb puree and frozen fruit....

i know its got to be higher then 7% cause the other night after i got out of work and had 2 beers i was feeling really good off of them....

If you added anything that is fermentable after you took your og/fg reading your definitely going of have more alcohol.

It's def a complication. But process & wort constituents have as much if not more to do with it.

i was under the impression that using flaked oat and flaked wheat will help out with a good head.. cause when i made my batch i belive it had a mixture of flaked oat and wheat that came up to about .75-1lb worth

i was under the impression that using flaked oat and flaked wheat will help out with a good head.. cause when i made my batch i believe it had a mixture of flaked oat and wheat that came up to about .75-1lb worth

Yes,they are used for that. If you're doing extract,some DME can help too. I've been doing that for a while now.

Back