Wlp001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranny04

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm currently fermenting a 1.063 IPA using WLP001. It has been going for nearly two weeks and still has a thick krausen. Just wondering if this is typical for this strain.

I was planing on racking the IPA to a s secondary so I could harvest the yeast for an imperial stout. Instead I just top cropped some and made a starter.

I know none of this isn't anything to worry about. I'm just curious if this the long krausen is to be expected with this yeast (so I can plan for it next time).

Thanks

What is your fermentation temp? I just went through the same thing and took 2 weeks to get from 1.067 to 1.016, but I started at 65F. My experience has been that below 68F this yeast can be a bit slow.

I've had 2-week ferments, and I've had 2-day ferments, both with that strain. Bigger beers, poorly aerated wort, and extract recipes without yeast nutrient all can lead to longer lags and slower ferments.

It's been fermenting between 68-70. I shook the heck out of it before and after I pitched... Thanks for the quick responses

My starter took off great so I'll still be able to brew my imperial stout as planed.

Back