champagne

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stric9

Reaction score
I just started my first batch of wine this week and someone mentioned champagne. so after alittle research i found out that its just naturally carbonated wine. i was just wondering if you could make 1 or 2 bottles of champagne out of the batch of wine. or does it take a special yeast.

You can do that just with "regular" wine yeast. You'll need either champagne bottles and a champagne bottle corker, or you could do it in beer bottles with caps. Regular wine bottles aren't designed to hold pressure.

The difference between commercial champagne and just priming a couple of bottles will be that the homemade version will have sediment in it. Commercial (and some home) champagne makers is that they turn the bottle upside down, let the sediment fall to the top and then disgorge the crud before recapping. I don't know how to do it, and I think just doing it in a couple bottles is fine, if you don't mind some sediment in your sparkling wine.

Thanks for the quick reply. i did find out that to disgorge you turn the bottle upside down for like a week quickly rotating it a quarter turn everyday then take a bowl filled with crushed ice and add rock salt like you nmake homemade ice cream with put the bootle in to freeze just the neck with all the sediment in it . uncork it the frozen plug will get pushed out recork and you are sediment free. i am making a cherry wine but put to much sugar in so its rather potent right now im hoping that toping up with water will calm it down alittle

Back