Possibility of beating average attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
I transferred my Tripel to secondary over the weekend. Its OG was 1.100 and its gravity during the transfer was 1.020, giving me 80% attenuation, which is the high end of what White Labs advertises for the WLP500 that I used. I'm uncomfortable with 1.020 as a FG, though, as I've had it before and sometimes the beer is a lil' sweet. Is there any chance of the gravity dropping to a better level, thereby beating the advertised attenuation?

ayrton said:
I transferred my Tripel to secondary over the weekend. Its OG was 1.100 and its gravity during the transfer was 1.020, giving me 80% attenuation, which is the high end of what White Labs advertises for the WLP500 that I used. I'm uncomfortable with 1.020 as a FG, though, as I've had it before and sometimes the beer is a lil' sweet. Is there any chance of the gravity dropping to a better level, thereby beating the advertised attenuation?

Not as easy in the secondary as it would have been in the primary. You've lost your yeast cake. If you can warm it up, you'll get a little yeast-rally going on that might take you down a few more clicks.

What was the grain/extract bill? If there was a good amount of unfermentables, I don't think you'll get it much lower. If it comes out a little sweet you might consider bumping up the bittering hops next time just a little to balance it out.

Brewsmith said:
What was the grain/extract bill? If there was a good amount of unfermentables, I don't think you'll get it much lower. If it comes out a little sweet you might consider bumping up the bittering hops next time just a little to balance it out.

I used this recipe. I missed their projected OG by a mile, and I don't know why (I had to do the extract version). I didn't have quite enough LME, so I used slightly more DME, but not nearly enough for it to have been so far off. Oh well!

I like the idea of re-pitching a similar yeast strain...

Latest posts

Back