Wyeast Ringwood Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankisanerd

Reaction score
I pitched Wyeast Ringwood Ale about 24 hours ago. I have no activity. How long should I wait before pitching a different yeast?

did you make a starter?

pitching temp?

current temp?

Did you read the thread about visible fermentation sometimes taking 72+ hours to start?

I'd give it at least two more days, then if you're still concerned, take a hydro reading and see how it differs from your OG. If it's still the same, you could add more yeast.

did you make a starter?

pitching temp?

current temp?

Did you read the thread about visible fermentation sometimes taking 72+ hours to start?

I'd give it at least two more days, then if you're still concerned, take a hydro reading and see how it differs from your OG. If it's still the same, you could add more yeast.

I didn't make a starter, only the slap pack. The pitch temp was 69deg O.G. 1.047. Current temp 68deg. I didn't see the thread, but I am reading it now.

I didn't make a starter, only the slap pack. The pitch temp was 69deg O.G. 1.047. Current temp 68deg. I didn't see the thread, but I am reading it now.

Did the slap pack swell? If you so, you should have viable yeast; it may just take a little longer without the starter because your pitch count may be a little low (I know they say you can pitch into less than 1.060 without a starter, but I never do).

Did the slap pack swell? If you so, you should have viable yeast; it may just take a little longer without the starter because your pitch count may be a little low (I know they say you can pitch into less than 1.060 without a starter, but I never do).

It swelled about 1/2 way, but it was 5hrs. I never done starters when using slap packs, always with dry yeast.

You shouldn't even start to worry until 60-72 hours after pitching a non-startered liquid yeast. Sit tight, let the yeast do their thing, and don't worry about it 'til Sunday, at least.

Well it does happen from time to time for sure. I find it amazing that the beers that give you the biggest scares tend to be your best tasting ones :)

Ringwood can take some coddling, so be prepared to rouse the fermenter occasionally to keep the yeast in suspension, especially at the tail end of the ferment. Also, give the beer a good long diacetyl rest, as this strain produces it in spades.

Well, it is getting lazy. I am giving it a swirl before I leave for work and when I get home.
The OG was 1.047. I checked it yesterday and got a 1.017. So, she is working some.

This string is interesting to me because most of my favorite commercial breweries are Ringwood breweries, so I use that yeast in all of my English-style ales. It typically behaves well for me, and always produces the tell-tale, and desired diaceytl. I guess I'm a bit anal (never a bad thing, when it comes to brewing), but I always smack the pack a few hours before using (as recommended). I also tend to leave stuff in the fermenter a bit longer than necessary. What was your procedure?

Back