You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When your friends stop hanging out at your place because that ultimately means they will be pulled into some sort of beer production

"hey cap these bottles for me" or "hey can you help me pour the strike water?"

Anyone else love hearing the sound of a stirplate at 3:00am... when you get up to piss and hear that sound... everything else is quiet... it's calming

I'm with you there because the sound is of new life, the yeasties reproducing, growing, getting strong, all the while you hear the hum and whir of a small motor, rythmic beats of stir-bar steadily clinking on the flask...and the happy thought; I do so love taking care of my yeast because they make my beer. In the end of it all is a new beginning. Beer! Beautiful - Goodness! 😄😄

I woke up once a 4AM with no idea why. Assuming an intruder, I crept downstairs with suitable defensive accessories. My stir plate had thrown the bar. :eek:

When you refuse to dump out a batch of infected beer, even after a year, on a tiny glimmer of hope that time will eventually fix it.

When you go to watch the 7th Fast & Furious in theatres and the most exciting part for you is seeing a Sabco Brew Magic in one of the scenes.

When you watch the Goldbergs and the talk about drinking a home brew stout and its out of a bottle. And you start yelling at the tv.

when you log on to HBT and find yourself correcting other homebrewers' mistakes on what they're describing.
it's not called beer, it's called cider (myself and a couple of others today).
it's not called #5 yeast, it's called US-05 (myself, a couple of times, cause the guy kept calling it that even after i corrected him).
it's not called cooking, it's called mashing or steeping (many times).
my homebrew beer comes out of a bottle too (the guy above me, instead of just realizing that he meant they were drinking it straight out of the bottle).

When people you barley know come up to you and say "hey did you know so and so brews beer too?" Yes, cause I know everyone that brews beer. There aren't that many of us. (Sarcastic)

Wait - there's a SEVENTH Fast and Furious??? Didn't the first one come out like last year? How can there be 7 of anything? Movie-wise, I mean.

Wait - there's a SEVENTH Fast and Furious??? Didn't the first one come out like last year? How can there be 7 of anything? Movie-wise, I mean.
Been out since 1955. Starring John Ireland!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046969/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

And yes I did watch that once on some specialty tv channel dedicated to old movies. It isn't around anymore because a lot of those old movies are terrible. Like the one mentioned above.

When you know that the orange Home Despot buckets are HDPE but white ones should be used instead for fermenting

Or when auto-correct wants to change unionrdr to uniondr.

yes, this is so universal to homebrewers the world over, every single one of us has had this exact same thing happen, we can all relate, this is what bonds us as brewing brothers and sisters

I think I just strained my entire body with the eyeroll on that one :rolleyes:

You know SWMBO is the wife of a homebrewer when your first hop addition of Mosaic causes her to state, "That smells great!"

Hoping I don't have foot surgery this summer cause it will through off my brewing schedule I have planned out for the next 12 months.

You look at your bottle of Tums and start to wonder if you can use it as a water addition. Then you remember that ****s flavored...

When you are planning your next recipe between hop additions.

Also, I can now proudly claim I am guilty of two main homebrewer thoughts:

"I bet I could ferment that"

and

"I wonder if I could brew this"

I can't taste commercial beer without trying to deconstruct it!

Absolutely. So calming.

Aw, heck, I'm a sucker just for the bubbles in the blowoff growler. Although, in all fairness, I haven't seen (or heard) a stirplate in person since a bio lab summer internship a decade ago.

In related news, you know you're a homebrewer when SWMBO can hear a mysterious but rhythmic sound in the night, and immediately and correctly guess "your beer is making noise again, can you do something about that?!" (word to the wise: one of those cloth-on-one-side-silicone-rubber-on-the-other hot pads between your growler of starsan and the compressor hump on your fermentation fridge works wonders).

Aw, heck, I'm a sucker just for the bubbles in the blowoff growler. Although, in all fairness, I haven't seen (or heard) a stirplate in person since a bio lab summer internship a decade ago.

In related news, you know you're a homebrewer when SWMBO can hear a mysterious but rhythmic sound in the night, and immediately and correctly guess "your beer is making noise again, can you do something about that?!" (word to the wise: one of those cloth-on-one-side-silicone-rubber-on-the-other hot pads between your growler of starsan and the compressor hump on your fermentation fridge works wonders).

I used to keep my fermenter in the bedroom closet. Moved it to the basement when i realized i wasn't getting ANY sleep. Fermenting beer in an aphrodesiac, what with the musky aroma and all. SWMBO was waking me up in an amorous mood times 3-4 a night!!!

I used to keep my fermenter in the bedroom closet. Moved it to the basement when i realized i wasn't getting ANY sleep. Fermenting beer in an aphrodesiac, what with the musky aroma and all. SWMBO was waking me up in an amorous mood times 3-4 a night!!!

Once a king always a king but once a knight is enough.

Guess I am getting old.

But still trying to figure out where I can hide a fermenter in my bedroom.

You know you're a homebrewer when you're dropping your kid off at school and when she gets out you have to tell her to brush off the huge dust marks on her black leggings from the spilled grain in your front seat.

*Moves fermenter to bedroom closet.*

Back