Mild carbonation formed in primary!??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickhead

Reaction score
I left Ed Wort's Apfelwein in primary for about 1.5 - 2 months and when I bottled it, it already was slightly carbonated.

What's that all about? Ever see that before? Should I be afraid of bottle-bombs?

No, this happens in wines all the time. Sometimes we winemakers have to degas our wines before bottling because of it. It happens because co2 tends to stay in solution in cool temperatures, and even an airlock helps "hold" the co2 in the carboy. What I mean is, when fermentation is over, not enough co2 is being produced to bubble the airlock, so the co2 in there makes the wine gassy.

If the fermentation was finished, you have no worries. I assume you didn't use wine bottles, though. Wine bottles + carbonation = blown corks.

The head space of the primary is nearly 100% CO2.
So your apfelwein is carbonated at 1 atmosphere at the temp of the wine. This can be a noticeable carbonation at lower temps. Perfectly normal, just more noticeable in wine than beer.

If you want sparkling apfelwein, don't worry. If you want still wine then you need to degass by stirring the wine. A wine degasser helps alot here.

Craig

Back