cooler for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brash1_99

Reaction score
Is anyone out there using a cooler to ferment their beer in? If so what is good or bad about this?

There will be an endless debate over fermenting in a plastic vessel. But that shouldn't sway you. If you are comfortable with a plastic fermentation vessel, go for it. I don't believe many people lager in plastic, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The bigger issue to me would be getting air tight. A cooler lid has a lot of contact space to seal up to ensure a good air tight seal for long term. Additionally, I don't know how a cooler does under pressure. I imagine if you could get a good seal and drill a hole to put in an airlock it would work fine.

Let us know how it goes...

MNBugeater

MNBugeater

thanks for your reply. I guess I have my answer to this? I was looking for comments from people who actually have tried to use a cooler for fermentation.

brash1_99 said:
MNBugeater

thanks for your reply. I guess I have my answer to this? I was looking for comments from people who actually have tried to use a cooler for fermentation.

I have never tried it nor do I see a reason to do so. Why are you thinking of doing this?
The way I see it is that the heat produced during fermention would be harder to control (reduce) if it's in something that's meant to hold temps.

As for the plastic, if it's food gread is should be fine. and no worries about having it air tight. The fementer does not need to be so. Just covered so things can't fall or climb in.

Back