Work Table - Considering Stainless - Seeking Feedback and Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
I need a work table for the room I'm using to prep, make yeast starters, take readings, cleanup, etc . It will be right next to the sink I installed for washing my brew equipment. I'm leaning heavily towards a stand alone stainless table mainly because It will come in contact with water when I'm washing my equipment.

I wanted to get your opinion on the table I'm looking at.

The one I'm looking at has a backsplash. I thought that would be a good feature to help keep stuff from sliding off the back of the table. The room/area where this will be is in the basement and the walls are studded but not drywalled so things can fall off the back.

I could put a board up to act as a backsplash. This would make the table more versatile if I ever wanted to use it for s brew stand.

Any thoughts, feedback, other places I should look or other ideas for tables would be appreciated.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/w...-gauge-stainless-steel-workbench-w-backsplash

That is a nice price, shipping charges may be substantial. Check out a restaurant supply or a junkyard if shipping is too much. I don't see the backsplash being a problem to use it for a brew-stand.

I would definitely sport a table like that. Brings a serious professional and solid look to your work area.

Yeah shipping for me was about $85 as well. I found one without the backsplash for about ~$167 shipped. 24x60.

Search for a local restaurant supply store. I bought mine local for less than global advertised and they must have had 20 varieties....things such as size, backsplash or no, and stainless sheof, or galvanized shelf.

And in the big picture I am in a small town....I would almost bet you have a store somewhere near where you can see these things and not pay the shipping.

I called several local restaurant equipment stores in my area. All of them said they would have to call me back. 1 called back with a price of $323.30!

I found and ordered this table for $159 + $11 shipping.

24 x 60 with 4" backsplash. The backsplash is the boxed type so much stronger than others in this price range.

After ordering 3 from Amazon and returning them because they are dented, bent and scratched... I ordered a sportsman table from home depot that way I could look at the table in person. It was a bit more ($200) but it saved the hassle of returning them.

After ordering 3 from Amazon and returning them because they are dented, bent and scratched... I ordered a sportsman table from home depot that way I could look at the table in person. It was a bit more ($200) but it saved the hassle of returning them.

Yeah, I expressed my concern with regarding shipping damage with the customer rep. Hopefully all will go well.

Another thing to look at is the lower shelf. I have (2) tables, one with a galvanized lower shelf and one with a stainless. The galvanized shelf is a pain to clean and is discolored.

The all stainless I actually got from Amazon with free shipping. It is smaller than the one you linked.

2015-02-09%2018.28.44.jpg

Discolored shelf

Last edited by a moderator:
Stainless lower would be nice but it's not critical for me at this time.

Let us know how the shipping goes. If it's packed well, I may go this route. That's a great price for that sized table and backsplash.

Looks like I got the larger one with galvanized shelf on Amazon too. Only complaint is the lower shelf. $186 with free shipping. Only negative reviews are from shipping damage, that you know Amazon will handle.

I know I looked at restaurant supply stores and the shipping was as much for the table (same for the sink I bought)

Last edited by a moderator:
With the pumps mounted to the metal tables, does that not make a lot of noise? Rubber isolators to reduce it?

With the pumps mounted to the metal tables, does that not make a lot of noise? Rubber isolators to reduce it?

Yes, when directly connected the sheet metal resonates. I originally cut a sheet of gasket material to match the foot pattern, however it would get wet and nasty under the pumps. I now have the sheet metal tapped and bolts screwed through with nuts on the top for easy removal with a keg poppet O-ring on each bolt.

Received my new table yesterday. 4 days from ordering to my door. Very happy with service.

The table had 1 bent corner at the upper, left, rear lower corner of backsplash. I've contacted the store to see what they're willing to do but to be honest, if someone had put the table together and put it in place for me, I might have never noticed it. Mainly because that area is not that visible in my situation.

Regardless, I'm hoping they'll just credit me a few dollars. I don't really want to ship it back.

Table is Saturday and looks nice. Might not be $350 nice but it's certainly well worth what I paid.

I'll let you know what they say.

** UPDATE: A customer service rep contacted me and apologized for the damage and offered me a 20% discount to keep the table as is, which I gladly accepted. Very happy with this purchase.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449241767.483925.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449241779.672122.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449241793.262236.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449241812.822952.jpg

Back