Wort got too cold, is it a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillPall

Reaction score
After reading about it and seeing other people do it, I decided to speed up my wort cooling process by freezing a couple of gallons of sterile water and then pouring my hot wort over the ice. The problem is, apparently two gallons is plenty to cool down hot wort because even after adding all the wort and top-off water I still have two gallons of ice floating in my fermenter and my thermometer is reading the wort at 40F.

Obviously, I am going to wait to pitch my yeast until the wort has come back into the 70F range, but is super-cooling my wort going to hurt anything?

As long as you let it reach 65-70 before you pitch your yeast it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the reply, I figured it wouldn't be too bad, just a PITA.

And for future reference, never do this. After waiting two hours for it to melt, I still had two huge blocks of ice. I decided to pull one of them out and boil it again and add it back to my fermenter. Talk about a sanitation problem, after all this moving around and messing with my wort I'll be surprised if I don't end up with vinegar instead of beer.

Back