Pliney the Elder clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskrfj

Reaction score
Hello all just wanted to post about my pliney the elder clone I found this partial grain kit here:
http://grains-n-beans.com/cart/pliny-the-elder-clone-russian-river-brewing-extract-with-grains-version-p-429.html
So far it is looking awesome.
I did a starter yeast with my new stir plate I found instructions for on here.
Pitched my yeast at 1800 last night and am thankful I decided to do a blow off tube instead of an air lock.
8339421024_4a9bc3a2fa_c.jpg

S.G. came in at 1.068 just shy of the projected 1.070
am excited for this one to be done!
I've never even tried the real pliney so wont have anything to compare it to but I'm sure it will be great!

section8 said:
That is a really sexy sight...

Looking nice.

Thanks! This is my 5th batch since getting back into homebrew, after dabbling in it half a decade ago.

By far my most active fermentation thus far!

I just had Pliney the Elder for the first time this past week. I think my next batch will have to be a clone as well. Let us know how yours turns out!

Run4BeerCO said:
I just had Pliney the Elder for the first time this past week. I think my next batch will have to be a clone as well. Let us know how yours turns out!

Will do!

martiniw2olives said:
What a beautiful mess! I had my first bottle on NYE, and its amazing. Can someone recommended an all grain recipe?

Yeah it is a pretty sight isn't it

Scotland on the boards here posted a recipe on his blog that he based off of info from Vinnie and other sources. I used the recipe from BYO a few months ago and mostly followed Scotland's recipe about 2-3 weeks ago. I just kegged it today and the sample I pulled is going to be very close to the commercial version, just had some on NYE so it was fresh in my mind!

Here is his post/recipe: http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/12/ipa-clone-series-pliny-elder.html

wouldn't it be tough to match the lite color of pliny with extract? the allgrain version looks good.

only my $.02

Scotland on the boards here posted a recipe on his blog that he based off of info from Vinnie and other sources. I used the recipe from BYO a few months ago and mostly followed Scotland's recipe about 2-3 weeks ago. I just kegged it today and the sample I pulled is going to be very close to the commercial version, just had some on NYE so it was fresh in my mind!

Here is his post/recipe: http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/12/ipa-clone-series-pliny-elder.html

Thanks! Ya, the key is less crystal. It's more like 2%, not 4%. RR also uses hop extract for the 90 and 45min additions. It makes a little difference, not big. I see it being more important for yield in a 10+ bbl brewery. You're talking a couple extra kegs at that scale, rather than an extra bottle or two.

Oh, and get your hands on some good CTZ. There's lots of really crappy CTZ out there. Get some that smells good.

Back