first batch bottled!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filmman03

Reaction score
woohoo finally made it to bottling day and boy was it tiresome to clean old bottles (going to just buy new bottles for my next batch lol)

boiled priming sugar according to instructions and dumped it in then started bottling :D

gave it a taste as well and delicious, but a it seemed flat, i'm assuming its b/c when i tasted it there was no carbonation yet.

anyway; bottles are filled up and got my next kit ready to brew sometime this week, NB's Bavarian Hefeweizen! can't wait!!

How did you clean the bottles? I like to let them soak overnight in PBW (this especially helps getting labels to fall off) if they're recycled commercial bottles.

When you say you dumped the priming sugar in... did you dump it into the fermenter or a bottling bucket? And yes it's flat because carbonation takes weeks to occur (from the yeast in the bottle eating the priming sugar).

Welcome to the addiction!

Rock on! Im far from a pro yet but good to hear you got another in line, it always helps the waiting from driving you nuts. As far as bottles, fyi I use the swing top bottles, no buying caps and theyre a pint instead of 12oz. Love em

How did you clean the bottles? I like to let them soak overnight in PBW (this especially helps getting labels to fall off) if they're recycled commercial bottles.

When you say you dumped the priming sugar in... did you dump it into the fermenter or a bottling bucket? And yes it's flat because carbonation takes weeks to occur (from the yeast in the bottle eating the priming sugar).

Welcome to the addiction!

i soaked them in dishsoap water to get the initial crap off and to peel most of the labels off... i'll tell you, Sierra Nevada's labels are a PITA! then dunked the bottles in Star San solution b4 bottling. couldn't use some of my bottles b/c there was a bit of mold at the bottom and i even tried to use my bottle brush to get them out but no luck.

and i dumped the priming sugar/water solution in my bottling bucket w/ spout.

im thinking of getting the pint bottles and yea probably the ones w/ the cork tops, im assuming that is what you mean by the swing tops?

just rinse your bottles with water a few times after drinking them, and it will be much easier to clean next time.
and he meant this bottles
grolsch2.jpg

Those are the style of bottles I meant indeed (got brown glass though). Quick tip if you run into a stuck piece of sediment you cant get with your brush. Toss some rice in the bottle and half fill with water and shake it pretty good, should help out a lot

Those are the style of bottles I meant indeed (got brown glass though). Quick tip if you run into a stuck piece of sediment you cant get with your brush. Toss some rice in the bottle and half fill with water and shake it pretty good, should help out a lot

o nice never would have thought of that. :D thanks

I think that new bottles are a good investment. It can be a real chore cleaning up old bottles and you can never be sure you got all the crud out. I've only had two bottles explode on me (well contained so the glass didn't go flying) and since all the others of that batch were carbonated properly I'm blaming it on some crud left in the bottles that lead to an infection. Since the bottles can be reused indefinitely if cared for they end up being a really cheap part of the hobby. Once you have enough for your rotation, you don't have to buy again.

Congrats! Think you're excited now, just wait. In 3-4 weeks when you crack your fist one.. Pfst is the best sound to a noob like me. My first brew is ready now, just in time for our Christmas. Cheers!

HOLY COW!!!!

so my last day at the office b4 christmas break, gave a few of the Tiger Tank Altbier's to some co-workers. Well i had one left so i decided to stick it in the fridge for a couple hours and see what it tastes like at its current state.

now i bottled this last monday; only 4 days in the bottle and i cracked it open. took a sip from the bottle and i was blown away at the flavor. fantastic! put it in a cup (only plastic cups here smh) and there was about a quarter of an inch head on it. not too bad me thinks :)

i am really surprised it tastes this amazing right now, i can't wait to see how it tastes the longer i wait! :) woohoo

Sierra Nevada bottles are some of the easiest, just need the right tool for the job. A soak in warm water with OxyClean (unscented) or PBW will have the labels off in no time. Might have to hit them with a green scrubby to get the glue off, but it will come right off.

Moldy bottles usually aren't worth the effort. I had a friend give me a bunch of bottles he'd kept in an outbuilding. Many hadn't been rinsed and there were all sorts of things in there. By the time I realised how bad some of them were, I'd already started cleaning them and decided to persevere. Even the worst gunk comes clean if you dump a spoonful of OxyClean and some hot water in there, but probably not worth the effort.

i soaked them in dishsoap water to get the initial crap off and to peel most of the labels off... i'll tell you, Sierra Nevada's labels are a PITA! then dunked the bottles in Star San solution b4 bottling. couldn't use some of my bottles b/c there was a bit of mold at the bottom and i even tried to use my bottle brush to get them out but no luck.

and i dumped the priming sugar/water solution in my bottling bucket w/ spout.

im thinking of getting the pint bottles and yea probably the ones w/ the cork tops, im assuming that is what you mean by the swing tops?

Don't soak or clean your bottles with dish soap water. The enzyme in it that makes water sheet off kills the head on the beer. As was stated,use oxyclean free or better yet PBW to soak'em overnight. Labels come off.glue is dissolved or soft,& gunk floats free.
I use a dobie & bottle brush to clean'em inside & out. It goes really quick since everything is soaked off,or softened. Rinse well & onto a bottle tree to dry before storage in covered boxes. I & my son saved craft 12 pack boxes to put my bottles in. I like the Lienenkugel's boxes best,as they have seperators & a tab to keep the top closed.

Back