science at its best

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
I was just perusing the website of one of my favorite brews and found this explination of the brewing process:

In 1839 the Annals of Chemistry, Volume 29, by Friedrich Woehler and Justus von Liebig, stated:

"Beer yeast, when dispersed in water, breaks down into an infinite number of small spheres. If these spheres are transferred into an aqueous solution of sugar, they develop into small animals. They are endowed with a sort of suction trunk with which they gulp the sugar from the solution. Digestion is immediate and clearly recognizable because of the discharge of excrements. These animals evacuate ethyl alcohol from their bowels and carbon dioxide from their urinary organs. Thus one can observe how a specifically lighter fluid is extruded from the anus and rises vertically, whereas a stream of carbon dioxide is ejected at very short intervals from their enormously large genitals."

This is on the website for Big Sky Brewing in Missoula MT. Love that Moose Drool.

so they say.

Tally, they carry Moose Drool at Lee's. I'm telling you it is the best brown ale you have tasted. Give it a try.

lighter fluid is extruded from the anus and rises vertically

Sounds like a stage show I had the misfortune of witnessing when I was serving in the Philippines. LOL! :D

Back