Outdoor brewing in summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
85 degrees today and 76 percent humidity here in Pennsyltucky. Brewed in the garage because of thunderstorms. I brew when I can. Nothing we can do about the weather.

Last week I did a Belgian Wit, it was 104 in the shade. Just make sure you have plenty of cold beer on tap or in the fridge and you will be fine :D

This! I've brewed on my patio where it read 105F in the shade three times in the last month. One thing to my benefit is that I don't babysit the boil. I go inside and do other prep and go out and check on the boil every 10 or 15 minutes. I have a few windows looking out to my patio, so I can see what's going on with the burner & kettle. The hardest part about brewing on those hot days is chilling, but even that isn't so bad with my pond pump and ice bath....

Weather is never a consideration, garage, fans and 100+ temperatures. Going to brew on Saturday weather calls for 100. It helps to have an electric set-up, doesnt seem to be as hot around the HLT and kettle, propane gives off tons of radiant heat. We'd lose 4-5 months of brewing if we didnt above 90.

I've decided to brew smaller AG batches indoors for the time being as I really don't have a way to avoid hot sun + patio burner and I know that it would take forever to cool the thing down. It's just a combination of where I live and my brewing area that make it so much more a pain in the butt. Figure I can just brew a couple weekends back to back, and make use of the 3 gallon fermenters I've got sitting around. I would love to brew a saison while the weather is hot. I've got some lovely sour cherry / hibiscus tea from Poland that would be a fun addition to a saison.

I'll save my next British ale batch for when the weather cools down. Maybe I'll build myself a 10 gallon mash tun between now and then so I can brew a bigger beer too..

Back