Where can I get gallons of peanut oil cheap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrew

Reaction score
Now that I bought a turkey fryer for brewing, I volunteered to cook christmas turkey for my family. Then I learned the hard way how much oil is needed:mad:. I think I need 3 gallons or so and I will be using 100% peanut because it's that tasty:rockin:. It's heathy too. So anybody have a source for it? I see costco business sells it online but doubt it will be in the store. I have no bass pro shops within reasonable driving distance. Anywhere else to recommend? Also any recommendations on how to strain and reuse it?

I have a restaurant supply place near me that sells it by the gallon. You might look around for one of those. Straining it is just a slow tedious process of letting it cool and pouring it through cheesecloth.

if that is the pot you brew in you would not want to fry a turkey in that.... unless you like turkey flavored beer.

I've used my turkey fryer pot, that turkey was fried in, for 17 brews and not a single one tasted like turkey.

Clean that pot! Just make sure you don't leave any oil residue behind.

if that is the pot you brew in you would not want to fry a turkey in that.... unless you like turkey flavored beer.

Well if I can ferment in 7 days then I will be doing two batches before the turkey.:cross: I will come to the other obstacle after that. I will then have 3 gallons of peanut goodness to use on chickens, potatoes and other goodies. So I think I'll buy a stainless steel pan that will fit in the same slot after that (assuming I can't get rid of the turkey stink.

Academy is always running specials on it.

Walmart usually has 3 gallon jugs for 30 bucks around the holidays. I have also seen gallon jugs at just about every grocery store u have ever been too... Those are about 15 a gallon though. I used my brew pot for a turkey on thanks giving... Just cleaned it with dawn and the residue came right off... No problem

It doesn't have to be penut oil and you will probably need more than 3 gallons. I get 4.5 gallons of canola oil from BJ's for about $40. Peanut oil is traditional but any flavor neutral high smoke point oil will work perfectly fine.

As far as using the same pot for brewing and turkey frying, as long as you clean it VERY VERY well it will be ok.

While you're at it you might want to add a piece of equipment to your deep fryer and pick up a chinois, also known as a "china hat" or conical strainer, that is used for straining oil. This makes straining oil one whole heckuva lot easier. Not to mention safer if you are doing it while the oil is hot.

There are less expensive ones that are essentially just a wire frame rather than something that resembles a colander.
Either way you would use chinois filters with it ... they look like giant coffee filters.

I did a turkey for Thanksgiving. I got one 3-gallon container from Home Depot and an additional 1-gallon jog from teh grocery store. Total cost was about 45 dollars. You can keep the oil for a while and use it again as long as you store it in a cool dry place. A fridge would be best but I don't have the room.

CrystalShip said:
When I was done with my turkey, I just poured it back into the containers without straining it. Is this an important thing to do?

Any little bits in there will go rancid... better fry something soon.

Hmmm... I may try that this Christmas. I would need to use my Blichmann burner and my Blichmann 15gal kettle though, which would be pretty bizarre. :drunk:

And that means I *have* to do it now. However, I don't have my kettle in front of me atm, but I'm pretty sure the thermometer isn't even labelled for temps anywhere near the appropriate range. I have a Thermapen, but it'd be nice to have a thermometer giving constant feedback on the oil temp. Maybe I can find a suitable NPT dial thermometer on the cheap. Actually, I think I may already have one...

It's just too bad I don't have my brewery set up for automatic mash temp control yet. I wonder if a turkey would noticeably benefit from being cooked in oil that is carefully temp-controlled to within a single degree? :eek:

While you're at it you might want to add a piece of equipment to your deep fryer and pick up a chinois, also known as a "china hat" or conical strainer, that is used for straining oil. This makes straining oil one whole heckuva lot easier. Not to mention safer if you are doing it while the oil is hot.

There are less expensive ones that are essentially just a wire frame rather than something that resembles a colander.
Either way you would use chinois filters with it ... they look like giant coffee filters.

Nice tip! I just threw out our fryer. I bought it at a yard sale many years back and we use it once in a while. I like using it, but there is no easy way to pour the oil out when your done. Stupid design. After spilling a bunch down the side and all over the sink I gave up.

I hope Santa buys me one for Xmas (And since I showed I can make deep fried Oreos, I think the chances are good!)

When I was done with my turkey, I just poured it back into the containers without straining it. Is this an important thing to do?

Very much so. I would venture a guess that it's already turned.

Homercidal said:
I like using it, but there is no easy way to pour the oil out when your done. Stupid design. After spilling a bunch down the side and all over the sink I gave up.

Heh, sounds like another good reason to use the Blichmann!

Anybody know if the silicon o-rings will be fine? I know they're rated for 500°+, but I'm wondering if the oil can affect that in any way.

Heh, sounds like another good reason to use the Blichmann!

Anybody know if the silicon o-rings will be fine? I know they're rated for 500°+, but I'm wondering if the oil can affect that in any way.

Just for clarity, I'm talking about a table-top deep fryer. I've never used my beer fryer for turkey.

But you gotta strain your oil on either one.

Silicone O-rings should be fine.

Homercidal said:
Just for clarity, I'm talking about a table-top deep fryer. I've never used my beer fryer for turkey.

But you gotta strain your oil on either one.

Yeah, I figured as much. Wonder if a hop blocker or hop stopper can "strain" the oil well enough before it even reaches the diptube...

And I would imagine that several gallons of hot oil takes *ages* to cool down. I wonder how well my Therminator plate chiller would be able to cool it down :D

We picked up a turkey fryer the weekend before Thanksgiving and paid $27 for 3 gallons of "frying oil" at Bi-mart. An 18 lb turkey took about an hour to cook and it was fantastic.

I left the oil out overnight to cool covered. I didn't strain the oil, but there was nothing to strain. All the turkey bits had settled in the bottom of the pot and the oil looks exactly like it did when new. Maybe its because my pot has a spigot.

The pot cleaned up super easy with a bit of dawn, some heat and a dish brush and I plan to use it for beer with no fear of any turkey flavors lingering.

I do turkeys and brews. No worries. Dawn and hot water cleans it right up. I got my peanut oil at Sams. $39 for I think, 35 pounds. Plenty to do the turkey. They also had a cooking blend for less, but since I got my fryer at a garage sale for 8 bucks, I splurged and went wtih tht 100% peanut oil.

We picked up a turkey fryer the weekend before Thanksgiving and paid $27 for 3 gallons of "frying oil" at Bi-mart. An 18 lb turkey took about an hour to cook and it was fantastic.

I left the oil out overnight to cool covered. I didn't strain the oil, but there was nothing to strain. All the turkey bits had settled in the bottom of the pot and the oil looks exactly like it did when new. Maybe its because my pot has a spigot.

The pot cleaned up super easy with a bit of dawn, some heat and a dish brush and I plan to use it for beer with no fear of any turkey flavors lingering.

I may do that. I'm going to my sister's place and won't feel like hanging out for an hour holding a pan full of oil. Maybe I'll go to the $.99 store and get a colander to use once and toss along with a fat funnel that I can reuse for fuel or car oil afterward.

Back