Lift off with Wyeast 3725

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggins

Reaction score
I did a beer on sat, it wasn't any real style aside from me being at the home brew store with a hangover and picking things based off of "that smells nice and oooh those hops have a high AA%" but i noticed that they had Wyeast 3725 so i figured i'd give it a shot.

The OG was 1.063
IBU 72 and SRM 19

Nothing was really unusual as far as the brew went, the only thing that was different was i picked up a vile of wyeast nutrient that i tossed in 1/2 tsp during the last ten mins or so.

It was a late brew and due to enjoying several HBs while brewing I ended up dozing and pitching the yeast at like 3:30am and went back to sleep.

Come noon it was happily bubbling in the air lock and i was kinda impressed because I don't usually see active fermentation on the first day like that with most strains of yeast i've used, air temp was prob in the low 70s and around 9pm last night I happened to check on it and the air lock was getting plugged up and I was probably moments away from the lid blowing off. Quickly I sanitized a tube and set up a blow off into a growler half full with water and sanitizer and watched in a hypnotic fashion as the bubbles rattled off and every few moments a glob of kraus would plug it and work it's way through the tube letting off a nifty machine gun like string of bubbles.

This morning things were a little more calm and it's got a happy steady bubble action going on and I may pop the air lock back in tonight as things have chilled out,

I'm looking forward to seeing how this yeast finishes out but to this point I must say it's a rip roaring one that really gets going quick. neat stuff.

Just bottled a big saison last night that I used 3725 on and I agree, it is a fermenting beast. OG was 1.080 and after 3 weeks got down to 1.001! Samples at bottling were tasty.

I am going to wash the yeast in the fermenter tonight so I can use this again, really great yeast.

good idea, i've not tried doing a yeast wash and saving it before but where this is part of the PC id hate to like it and not have it around.

Back