Can 5.2 ph stabilizer go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
In this extremely frustrating attempt to correct sour/tart astringent off flavors in my all grain beers,I am wondering if 5.2 stabilizer can go bad and contribute off flavors.I have had the same jar for over 6 yrs.I'm running out of ideas at this point.

It will not go bad. If you have been using this all along it is not the cause of your off flavors. Many will debate it's usefulness in brewing. I occasionally use it in my Sparge water to keep the pH under 6

Sour/tart to me suggests an infection. I had problems with this. I brought most everything into work and ran it through the autoclave. Still had some problems. Finally decided it was the carboys. Lactobacillus will form spores that are not killed by Starsan. I soaked all my carboys in Bleach. So far so good.

To get rid of the bleach, I would rinse with some cold water, then add a little camden (as one would to remove the chlorine from brewing water) plus a little water and shake and then rinse. Then Starsan as normal just to be sure.

It will not go bad. If you have been using this all along it is not the cause of your off flavors. Many will debate it's usefulness in brewing. I occasionally use it in my Sparge water to keep the pH under 6

Sour/tart to me suggests an infection. I had problems with this. I brought most everything into work and ran it through the autoclave. Still had some problems. Finally decided it was the carboys. Lactobacillus will form spores that are not killed by Starsan. I soaked all my carboys in Bleach. So far so good.

To get rid of the bleach, I would rinse with some cold water, then add a little camden (as one would to remove the chlorine from brewing water) plus a little water and shake and then rinse. Then Starsan as normal just to be sure.

I though about possible infection a while back..I got a brand new ale pale,replaced all my hoses and am still having the same problem..

Yes, 5.2 Stabilizer goes bad the moment you open the container and use it in your brewing. You are far better off learning to measure and adjust your mash pH with proper materials.

Watch the grain dust! You'll hear lots of folks chiming in about grinding your grain away from where you brew. A good idea indeed, but no one ever mentions not cooling where you mash-in. I used to just dump the crushed grain in while stirring. Then I noticed the grain dust cloud that was rising as I did this. Then I noticed that my arms were covered in grain dust. If one did not wash their arms after mashing in, they could easily have dust falling off their arms into the boil pot as they stir while cooling. I now wear gauntlets when handling grain at ANY stage on brewing days. I also add grain gently, scoop by scoop to minimize dust cloud formation. I also remediated any surface around my mash tun to minimize places where dust could collect and possibly fall in.

Watch the grain dust! You'll hear lots of folks chiming in about grinding your grain away from where you brew. A good idea indeed, but no one ever mentions not cooling where you mash-in. I used to just dump the crushed grain in while stirring. Then I noticed the grain dust cloud that was rising as I did this. Then I noticed that my arms were covered in grain dust. If one did not wash their arms after mashing in, they could easily have dust falling off their arms into the boil pot as they stir while cooling. I now wear gauntlets when handling grain at ANY stage on brewing days. I also add grain gently, scoop by scoop to minimize dust cloud formation. I also remediated any surface around my mash tun to minimize places where dust could collect and possibly fall in.

Malt conditioning all but eliminates any dust concerns. Plus it aids in lautering, a win-win.

_

Yes, 5.2 Stabilizer goes bad the moment you open the container and use it in your brewing. You are far better off learning to measure and adjust your mash pH with proper materials.
But surely, for something to go bad, it has to be good in the first place. :D
I've used it three times to try and adjust the mash pH of two lagers and one bitter. In each case, the brews had very noticeable off flavors. In the case of the bitter, I dumped the batch because I had run out of kegs, secondaries, and primaries, and I wanted to keg another batch to free up a fermenter. In the case of the lagers, the off flavors eventually faded, but it took the best part of a year.
I'll never use it again.

-a.

I've used it three times to try and adjust the mash pH of two lagers and one bitter. In each case, the brews had very noticeable off flavors. In the case of the bitter, I dumped the batch because I had run out of kegs, secondaries, and primaries, and I wanted to keg another batch to free up a fermenter. In the case of the lagers, the off flavors eventually faded, but it took the best part of a year.
I'll never use it again.

-a.

I used it about 5 times before realizing my beers were worse with it. I gave away one full jar, and I still have about 3/4 of a jar left. I might use it to adjust sparge water since I hate throwing stuff away. But I find lactic acid faster, easier, and "cleaner" flavored.

I'll never use it again.

-a.

I'm leaning towards scrapping the 5.2 and going the Lactic Acid route.What were the off flavors that you had in your beers?

Malt conditioning all but eliminates any dust concerns. Plus it aids in lautering, a win-win.

_

Not the way I crush!!! I've been conditioning my malt for several years and there is still quite a lot of dust to be created. Granted a lot of it is simply barley flour, but it still can contain lactobacillus in it. The bacteria are not strictly only on the husks. I'm sure they get past that to the endosperm itself.

The only way to get no dust is to do a wet milling like some breweries do.

I'm leaning towards scrapping the 5.2 and going the Lactic Acid route.What were the off flavors that you had in your beers?

Sorry, I can't remember exactly. It was a long time ago, but I do remember that it was very noticeable, and I had no problems after I stopped using it.

-a.

Back