Tipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deflagratio

Reaction score
As a professional Bartender/Server I'm always fascinated to learn others views on tipping. I have my own formulated theories on the subject such as "Training Your Servers"(tm). The basic premise is that servers will provide better service to those who tip above 20%. So when you find a bar or restaurant that you want to frequent you leave a 50% or more tip 3 times in a row. After this word has gotten around to all the servers that you are an excellent tipper. They will be tripping over themselves to keep your drink full and make your every wish come true. After the 3 times you can back off to 20-25% tips for good service. Just throw out the occasional superb tip for amazing service to keep them guessing.

So what are your opinion Homebrew Talk? What do you think of added gratuity on parties of 6-8 or more? What are your standards to earn that 15-18% tip and what makes you tip above and beyond?

The basic premise is that servers will provide better service to those who tip above 20%. So when you find a bar or restaurant that you want to frequent you leave a 50% or more tip 3 times in a row. After this word has gotten around to all the servers that you are an excellent tipper. They will be tripping over themselves to keep your drink full and make your every wish come true. After the 3 times you can back off to 20-25% tips for good service. Just throw out the occasional superb tip for amazing service to keep them guessing.

So your premise is that in a service industry I am supposed to bribe people to give me good service? My answer to that is theres another place to eat right up the street. Any Management that allows the Waitstaff to act like that doesn't need my money.

20 - 25% for good service? What happened to 15% for great service and on down from there?

I was never a server or bartender but I did used to be a restaurant manager. IMHO, there's too much turnover in the restaurant business to play a long game when it comes to tipping. If I get good service, I give a good tip and leave it at that. Bartending is stable enough in my experience that tipping well goes a long way.

My view on automatic gratuity is that if you did a good job and you roll the dice, I'll reward you. If you did a good job and you automatically applied the tip, I'll give you a little extra. If you did a bad job, you get the party minimum regardless of if you add it in or not.

My view on what to tip is I look at what the server has control over. Drink refills and salads/bread/chips/etc are usually entirely on the server. If there's a hold up from the kitchen on one of those things, that's fine but let us know. Food taking a long time is not usually the fault of the server. There have been a few times when I've seen our whole order back there ready to carry out and the server is too busy doing side work or goofing off to look up and notice, but far more often the kitchen is just slow. Speaking of side work, what really grinds my gears is when I'm eating later in the evening and a server is putting their side work at a higher importance than actually serving their one or two remaining customers. Side work is just that: side work.

I always tell my wife that if the waitress does any better, she won't just get the tip, she'll get the whole thing!

Yeah. She doesn't laugh either.

50% tip,, I would recommend that if I was a server too :rolleyes: That's ridiculous. If the service is good-great I leave 20%, if it's horrible, I've left 0 before. I'd say less then 5 times during my time on this planet, but it is an option. You get tipped on your performance, that's the pay scale you agreed to when you took the job, don't like it, don't work for tips. Now if I'm at a very busy bar...maybe once or twice a year now a days, I'll tip big (50-100% of the 2 drink order) the first time. This isn't because the bar tender did a great job, it's to ensure I get served next time wihtout waiting forever.

I'll agree with PDAWG that I don't want my wait staff expecting me to bribe them for good service and would expect them to work their ass off on their own in hopes that I will give a good tip. While that may screw them over with some cheap people, it ensures that the right people will tip accordingly.

That said, I only go out to eat rarely, and almost always the same restaurant and same server (I go to "wing nite" special every Thursday). To make it easy, we just each throw in $20 for the meal + tip. Sometimes that comes out to 12% if we have an extra beer, some times it's 40% (because the server doesn't always remember to put a round of beers on the bill). We always put the same amount on the table, so when we drink light, the server makes a ton of money, but if we drink heavy, we made up for that tip by giving extra last week when we didn't drink heavy.

This has worked great at 2 bars we've frequented with regularity and our server knows what beer we want, and generally what our order is (almost always the same order of wings + fries for the table). As soon as she sees one of us pop in, she's got 4 beers ready and asks if we want the usual order. Well worth the 40% we spend some days, and we don't have to worry about waiting for change and trying to divvy up the change evenly.

"Training Your Servers"(tm) works really well if you frequent a place. I don't go out too much anymore, so the recognition isn't there. It's not a bride. It's everybody knows you aren't chintzy.

I am pretty laid back & easy to please. Basically just be nice to me. If stuff gets a bit f'ed up, I still don't care. Sometimes you go out with uptight people who dwell on little stuff. I would much rather sit back, relax, and enjoy a good time.

Its interesting that the OP considers the minimum expected tip is 20%, but you have to also consider the source. I'd say the same thing if I was was a server/bartender!:D

I've also tipped big on the first round of drinks to see if its made any difference in service...it didn't. Oh yeah, they rung that stupid bell announcing they got a big tip but that was it. I got the same service everyone else was getting. Maybe it was the particular location.

That's funny, when I treat my "corporate" customers like crap, I don't just get a poor tip, I get fired. I really wish the entire service industry would just work on salary and have to answer to their manager for poor performance like everyone else. It would make everyone feel a little less like they're being hustled.

As a diligent supporter of restaurants and real cooking, I pursued my goal of earning a restaurant management degree while also having real experience in the front and back of the house, as well as being able to throw down real cooking with the best of them and not just learning from a text book.

While my husband finishes his duty of service to this great country, we are working our way towards opening our own smokehouse/brew house here amid the beautiful Smokey Mountains. Of course, sooner will come before later if we win lotto but until then, we walk, trot and run towards that goal.

One of my biggest beefs in operating a restaurant or even being a customer at a restaurant, are servers who feel that just because they are employed as servers, they are entitled to a fixed percentage of a tip.

In the restaurants I’ve worked at, with chefs I’ve been blessed to be in the company of, one thing ran true for all. No one ever succeeded with a feeling of entitlement and restaurants that wanted to keep good wait staff that makes or breaks a restaurant, never ever put a requirement on their customers nor a one pot meal ticket for all the servers to share at the end of the day.

I could go on and on with experiences and learning of what works in a restaurant and what doesn’t but we’ve all been there and had the best of waiters and the worst of the world waiters.

During my husband’s last trip to Afghanistan, he came home on leave only to be greeted as a surprise by his parents. Nothing says fun like having your husband one day out of combat and having the in-laws stay with you. I love them to pieces but one day out of combat is sometimes one day too early. :)

They decided to treat us to dinner so with the four of us and two older kids, we went to a national franchise place my mother in law chose. We had eaten there before and always had a great experience with both the food and wait staff.

That changed that night. Not once did our waitress fill a drink whether it was the initial first glass of water, a soda or a beer without having to be asked at least three times. Sometimes that wasn’t enough and we had to ask another server.

When we ordered appetizers and they didn’t arrive at the table after a half hour, we asked about them. “Oh did you want them before the meal?” Everyone looked around at each other at the table and said “Sure, let’s go with that.” “Oh ok I’ll go ahead and put them in now.” WHAT?? Ok so appetizers arrived a little later - cold.

I guess it was a blessing in disguise that the food arrived right after the appetizers did since those were cold and congealed. As the waitress put the plates down, you would think as she checked the table, she would notice one person didn’t have a meal at all - and that was my mother in law. J

I said “Excuse me - is her’s coming?” In her best Barbie voice she said “Ummmmm did she order something?” So she started rifling through the order sheet she had written down. Then she found it.

As she looked at our table, she asked “Did I put that in for the kitchen?” I said “Well it would be hard for us to know but I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess no?” DING DING DING! I won the prize.

Twenty minutes later, my mother in law’s meal arrived and our’s were all cold by that time. Then of course we had to start again with more beverages, tabasco, ketchup, more napkins, etc. Then Kimmy disappeared the rest of the night or so we thought.

When another server brought over the tab, my father in law looked at me and pointed to the 25% tip filled in already. I proceeded to cross it off of our tab and dug through my purse for the shiniest penny I could find. Low and behold, Kimmy was found! She came right over to the table to explain the restaurant's policy on parties of six or more being required to leave a 25% tip. I proceeded to explain to Kimmy our policy on what earns a 25% tip and that she would need to get her manager involved in this one.

After explaining our experience and Kimmy explaining that she hadn't served appetizers as appetizers and hadn't placed my mother in law's meal, we were given all sorts of apologies and "if there's anything I can do" statements from the manager.

I understand possibly better than some that waiting on a table of six or more is a daunting task not to be taken lightly. However I also understand that if you are not meeting the requirements of service for a party of one, two or twelve, you will not be rewarded with a tip and should find another way to earn income.

Tips are a sign of respect. Tips are not an entitlement, they are not given or demanded.

They are earned.

If you want to make more money, then get a college degree, or a skill set that will enable you to aquire it, don't just expect handouts.

15% Is generally what I will tip regardless of service since it gets divided up with the other servers and busboys sometimes. A good dinner gets 20% and a great dinner gets 25%, if a male waiter makes eye contact with my wife or flirts with her or checks her out in any way then he gets next to nothing. Waitresses who try to flirt with me, show off their rack (leaning over the table) get nothing more than the standard 15%, maybe less if I'm with my wife... I don't support whoring.

If the service is average, 10%.
If the service is really good, 15%.
If the service is excellent, 20%.
If my kids are with me and make a mess, I add 5% to the above.
If I get truly horrible service, I will leave nothing.

If you want a 50% tip, there's going to have to be nudity and touching involved.

OP wants us to tip first and hope for good service later. Sorry, that's not how it's supposed to work. We're supposed to get the good service first and then base the tip on that. And 15% is the standard for good service. Not '15% is the minimum and good service gets more', 15% is standard for good service, poor service gets less (or none) and exemplary service gets more.

Its interesting that the OP considers the minimum expected tip is 20%, but you have to also consider the source. I'd say the same thing if I was was a server/bartender!:D

I've also tipped big on the first round of drinks to see if its made any difference in service...it didn't. Oh yeah, they rung that stupid bell announcing they got a big tip but that was it. I got the same service everyone else was getting. Maybe it was the particular location.

Actually I'm not saying the expected tip is 20%. I consider the expected tip to be 15-18%. The whole 20% thing is in fact a bribe to move from one of the many nameless people who come through to the guy the servers know by name and trip over themselves to get taken care of. Another guy mentioned is thing of having a set limit he and his friends paid that the tip came out of with the tip sometimes coming out of 40%. If the server is remember the drinks and the regular order then he has his server trained.

I tend to always run tabs so I've never tried tipping big on the first round. It honestly sounds like your situation was for that location as I have had experiences.

Also let me define myself a bit more. What I call standard service other people call good service. Things like refilling drinks right before or just as they empty, food in a timely manner, all that jazz. I call it standard because it's what everyone should expect from every server.

Walker could you define your levels of service? That's one of the biggest problems when this topic is discussed is everyone's standards are different.

In real dives, like diners or truckstops, I tend to be far more generous, from the percentage perspective. I just do...maybe I think the extra $5 is more appreciated somehow. Dunno and never thought it out before. Maybe it isn't fair to the college kid who is working the "better" joints, but is the best judge of fairness truly measured by a percentage of the bill itself?

Walker could you define your levels of service? That's one of the biggest problems when this topic is discussed is everyone's standards are different.

Sure, I can do that.

This is "good" - the server always has smile.
- server introduces themselves and asks if we would like to start off with something to drink while we look at the menu.
- Drinks are presented and we are asked if we have any questions about the menu or need more time.
- Order is taken.
- Before food is brought to the table, drinks are checked and refilled.
- Food is delivered and we are asked if we need anything else.
- A few moments later, we are asked if everything came out of the kitchen OK.
- drinks are checked and refilled while we are eating
- we are asked how everything was and if we would like to see the dessert menu
- check is brought promptly when requested (credit card will require a couple more prompt returns to the table.)

"average" service is below this and generally involves things like being slow about things and/or not checking the situation with beverages or checking how the food is a few minutes after we start eating.

excellent service typically involves a friendly PERSONALITY and chit chat or putting up with us if we run the server a lot asking for things.

lousy service:
- what do you want?
- here it is.
- are you ready to pay?

Sure, I can do that.

This is "good" - the server always has smile.
- server introduces themselves and asks if we would like to start off with something to drink while we look at the menu.
- Drinks are presented and we are asked if we have any questions about the menu or need more time.
- Order is taken.
- Before food is brought to the table, drinks are checked and refilled.
- Food is delivered and we are asked if we need anything else.
- A few moments later, we are asked if everything came out of the kitchen OK.
- drinks are checked and refilled while we are eating
- we are asked how everything was and if we would like to see the dessert menu
- check is brought promptly when requested (credit card will require a couple more prompt returns to the table.)

This is exactly what I am calling standard service. It's honestly what I strive to give every single customer and what I expect of any server.

for some perspective based on where I work. You can consider this.

We are evaluated yearly based on our performance. You get a rank of 4,3,2, or 1 (1 being the best).

Here's how this affects my wallet:

rank of 1 - nice raise (like the "excellent service" tip)
rank of 2 - small raise (like the "good service" tip)
rank of 3 - no raise and a notice to improve (like the "average" service tip)
rank of 4 - you get fired. no ****. you are done. see ya.

This is exactly what I am calling standard service. It's honestly what I strive to give every single customer and what I expect of any server.

Well, your standards are higher than some. If you handle yourself this way, then you could "expect" that 15-18% tip.

But, this level of service is NOT standard. Maybe for you, but not for the industry.

I fall in step with Walkers description but am a little more lenient with the percentages. I generally tip 15%, out of the ordinary service (overcame some form of adverse situation) gets 20%, and bad service goes down from 15%.

Do you guys lower the tip if they are over doing it?
I really don't like being asked more than once right after the food comes out and maybe a second time when we are almost done. Any more than that and I start to get agitated because it interrupts out conversation. Also, don't interrupt me to ask if I want a refill if my glass is 2/3rds full.

I fall in step with Walkers description but am a little more lenient with the percentages. I generally tip 15%, out of the ordinary service (overcame some form of adverse situation) gets 20%, and bad service goes down from 15%.

My tips do often end up being 20-25% because of two things:

(A) I often have my kids with me, and that automatically makes me add 5% because they do make messes and I am highly aware of it.

(B) I tend to only go to places that give me good or excellent service (or have a kick ass beer list)

Well, your standards are higher than some. If you handle yourself this way, then you could "expect" that 15-18% tip.

But, this level of service is NOT standard. Maybe for you, but not for the industry.

While it isn't the actual performance standard going by most restaurants training material it is the expected performance. I'm also weird when it comes to being served. In the area I grew up in good service was honestly the norm. Rarely did I ever get bad service from a multitude of places. Where I am living now it seems normal.

I would tip anyone that doesn't ask me 2,3, or 4 times while I'm eating my meal if everything is to my liking and think that passes as real service. Especially if they were lacking in good service before they served my meal.

now I am just thinking random thoughts about things that influence my tip.

- if I have to remind you of something I asked for or ordered, that's going to hurt your tip

- if I get my appetizer/salad and meal extremely close together in time, that's going to hurt your tip

- if you put the check on the table before I have confirmed that the meal is over, that's going to hurt the tip in two ways. I won't order dessert (bill and tip go up for this, remember?) and I am going to feel like you are rushing me out the door

- if you deliver cold or burnt food to my table, that will hurt your tip. don't blame the kitchen for this one. too much salt is the kitchen's fault. cold or burnt food means you weren't paying attention.

15% if the service is fair to good. Screw something up and you get nothing. Leave my glass empty for more than 5 minutes without asking and you get nothing. If I have to spend more than 5 minutes trying to flag you down......

It's a job. You agreed to do it to an agreed minimum wage/salary. Do your job well and I tip. Otherwise, get packin'!

I always tip at least 10% even for the crappiest service ever... 15-20% for good service. I always tip $5 to delivery drivers (I was one for a while so it's a personal preference). If I'm buying by the beer at a bar I'll leave a dollar/beer and the coins.

The only time I tip more is if it's a place I go all the time and the bartender/waitstaff hook me up. OR if it's a bar that is always busy and that I frequent often. I'll pay extra to walk in to a busy bar and not have to wait for a beer.

one of the best scenes in Reservoir Dogs

WAITRESS
You guys have a wonderful day.

They all mutter equivalents. She exits and Joe stands up.

JOE
I'll take care of this, you guys
leave the tip.
(to Mr. White)
And when I come back, I want my
book back.

MR. WHITE
Sorry, it's my book now.

JOE
Blonde, shoot this piece of ****,
will ya?

Mr. Blonde shoots Mr. White with his finger. Mr White
acts shot. Joe exits.

NICE GUY EDDIE
Okay, everybody cough up green for
the little lady.

Everybody whips out a buck, and throws it on the table.
Everybody, that is, except Mr. White.

NICE GUY EDDIE
C'mon, throw in a buck.

MR. WHITE
Uh-uh. I don't tip.

NICE GUY EDDIE
Whaddaya mean you don't tip?

MR. WHITE
I don't believe in it.

NICE GUY EDDIE
You don't believe in tipping?

MR. PINK
(laughing)
I love this kid, he's a madman,
this guy.

MR. BLONDE
Do you have any idea what these
ladies make? They make ****.

MR. WHITE
Don't give me that. She don't
make enough money, she can quit.

Everybody laughs.

NICE GUY EDDIE
I don't even know a Jew who'd have
the balls to say that. So let's
get this straight. You never ever
tip?

MR. WHITE
I don't tip because society says I
gotta. I tip when somebody
deserves a tip. When somebody
really puts forth an effort, they
deserve a little something extra.
But this tipping automatically,
that ****'s for the birds. As far
as I'm concerned, they're just
doin their job.

MR. BLUE
Our girl was nice.

MR. WHITE
Our girl was okay. She didn't do
anything special.

MR. BLONDE
What's something special, take ya
in the kitchen and suck your dick?

They all laugh.

NICE GUY EDDIE
I'd go over twelve percent for
that.

MR. WRITE
Look, I ordered coffee. Now we've
been here a long ****in time, and
she's only filled my cup three
times. When I order coffee, I
want it filled six times.

MR. BLONDE
What if she's too busy?

MR. WHITE
The words "too busy" shouldn't be
in a waitress's vocabulary.

NICE GUY EDDIE
Excuse me, Mr. White, but the last
thing you need is another cup of
coffee.

They all laugh.

MR. WHITE
These ladies aren't starvin to
death. They make minimum wage.
When I worked for minimum wage, I
wasn't lucky enough to have a job
that society deemed tipworthy.

NICE GUY EDDIE
Ahh, now we're getting down to it.
It's not just that he's a cheap
bastard--

MR. ORANGE
--It is that too--

NICE GUY EDDIE
--It is that too. But it's also
he couldn't get a waiter job. You
talk like a pissed off dishwasher:
"**** those ****s and their
****ing tips."

MR. BLONDE
So you don't care that they're
counting on your tip to live?

Mr. White rubs two of his fingers together.

MR. WHITE
Do you know what this is? It's
the world's smallest violin,
playing just for the waitresses.

MR. BLONDE
You don't have any idea what
you're talking about. These
people bust their ass. This
is a hard job.

MR. WHITE
So's working at McDonald's, but
you don't feel the need to tip
them. They're servin ya food, you
should tip em. But no, society
says tip these guys over here, but
not those guys over there. That's
bull****.

MR. ORANGE
They work harder than the kids at
McDonald's.

MR. WHITE
Oh yeah, I don't see them cleaning
fryers.

MR. BROWN
These people are taxed on the tips
they make. When you stiff 'em,
you cost them money.

MR. BLONDE
Waitressing is the number one
occupation for female non-college
graduates in this country. It's
the one jab basically any woman
can get, and make a living on.
The reason is because of tips.

MR. WHITE
**** all that.

They all laugh.

MR. WHITE
Hey, I'm very sorry that the
government taxes their tips.
That's ****ed up. But that ain't
my fault. it would appear that
waitresses are just one of the
many groups the government ****s
in the ass on a regular basis.
You show me a paper says the
government shouldn't do that, I'll
sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll
vote for it. But what I won't do
is play ball. And this non-
college bull**** you're telling
me, I got two words for that:
"Learn to ****in type." Cause if
you're expecting me to help out
with the rent, you're in for a big
****in surprise.

MR. ORANGE
He's convinced me. Give me my
dollar back.

Everybody laughs. Joe's comes back to the table.

JOE
Okay ramblers, let's get to
rambling. Wait a minute, who
didn't throw in?

MR. ORANGE
Mr. White.

JOE
(to Mr. Orange)
Mr. White?
(to Mr. White)
Why?

MR. ORANGE
He don't tip.

JOE
(to Mr. Orange)
He don't tip?
(to Mr. White)
You don't tip? Why?

MR. ORANGE
He don't believe in it.

JOE
(to Mr. Orange)
He don't believe in it?
(to Mr. White)
You don't believe in it?

MR. ORANGE
Nope.

JOE
(to Mr. Orange)
Shut up!
(to Mr. White)
Cough up the buck, ya cheap
bastard, I paid for your goddamn
breakfast.

MR. WHITE
Because you paid for the
breakfast, I'm gonna tip.
Normally I wouldn't.

JOE
Whatever. Just throw in your
dollar, and let's move.
(to Mr. Blonde)
See what I'm dealing with here.
Infants. I'm ****in dealin with
infants.

The eight men get up to leave. Mr. White's waist is in
the F.G. As he buttons his coat, for a second we see he's
carrying a gun. They exit Uncle Bob's Pancake House,
talking amongst themselves.

I tip 20% unless the service sucks, but rarely go below 15% for poor service. My swmbo used to work as a waitress at a number of restaurants in town and in turn still knows lots of the servers that still work there. If we go to one of these places and they start giving us free appetizers or drinks then we definitely throw down much larger tips. I guess the understanding is that we are still paying the amount it should have cost, but the servers get the money rather than the establishment.

To Insure Prompt Service

I have been in the restaurant industry for over 20 years, 18 in operations. I have been a server, manager, trainer; mom and pop and corprorate whore.

A server must, at the bare minimum, greet me (if busy, at least acknowledge my presence), be knowledgable about the menu, bring my beverages in a timely fashion and keep them filled at a reasonable rate, check on me shortly after my meal has been delivered, then leave me the hell alone until the check is dropped.
Extra points if at some point I see my drink has been refilled and I don't remember you doing it.
15-20% standard. If you add gratuity to a party you consider large I will tip only that. If you allow me the courtesy of deciding for myself it will be more because I understand what you are going through.

I have only left a penny one time, but you would have too. While we were getting into our car to leave, the server, who was AWOL the entire meal had enough time to run out the door and throw the penny at us yelling "Keep this, you obviously need it more than I do". I don't go to that restaurant chain any more.

I know when you are busy. Sometimes you get a rush you are not staffed for and it sucks. You get a pass for this. If I see you flirting with another server or you are just plain lazy, you have not earned my money. Especially here in Washington where the minimum wage is $8.55/hour. We don't have a tip credit so servers make $25-$50 an hour for a job that may be challenging but is far from hard.

Oh, and if you happen to be a server reading this, don't ever complain about getting stiffed anywhere near the BOH help. It is rude and disrespectful. They work at least as hard as you for twice as long for half the money.

Overbearing and intrusive servers, even if they are friendly, makes the level of service (and thus the tip) go down.
+1 annoy me when I eat and you will not get rewarded. I don't know you, don't act like we're friends. Bring me my food and drink.

does anybody tip when you pick up your order instead of getting it delivered?

Of course not, then ...see movie script above....it's just like going to McDonalds. You don't tip them do you?

Back