Best place for a beer in Austin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdanprice

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Austin for a day this weekend with a buddy of mine. Any recommendations for a good local brewpub? BBQ?

If you're down for a drive, there's a tremendous BBQ place about an hour outside of town, but as good as the food is, it's not worth the drive unless you're that bored. Austin has plenty of great dining options all over town.

A better option might be to tour the Live Oak brewery downtown. They do tours around noon on saturdays. I believe Pfluegerville is also doing Deutchefest this weekend, which is sure to have lots of beer and food. Pfluegerville is just northeast of Austin.

IMO the best place to catch a drink in Austin is The Gingerman.

I would avoid BJ's -- good food and decent beer selection, but the absolute worst service ever. I don't mean in a beer snob I need a particular kind of glass for different kinds of beers way, I mean in a we don't offer you a glass for your beer at all, your food may take forever to show up, never check on you to see if you need anything, bring you the wrong beer, waitstaff has no idea what is on their beer menu way. Plus, I think their beers are bland.

The Draught House south of downtown would be a good option if you want a brewpub.

For me, the Draughthouse is the absolute best place in Austin for any microbrew, the atmosphere and staff and beer are excellent. They have very limited food choices though, so unless you're there on Saturday in time for their free bratwurst special, it's not a good place to go for lunch.

If you're up for a more commercial setting, the Flying Saucer is good for both beer and food, but not all the staff are knowledgeable. I've also heard good things about Lovejoy's, never tried it myself; also, I think they have a limited food selection as well if they have anything.

Beer and 'cue - Uncle Billy's Brew & Que

Just 'cue Iron Works

Are you from Austin or just visit frequently? Just curious.

+1 on Uncle Billy's if you want good beer and good food.

If you are more interested in the beer than food, the flying saucer and the draught house are for you.

Eric

North by Northwest is a pretty good brewpub. It is in North Austin and I really like their brews. The IPA is the bomb!

Dan

Haven't tried any of the others in this thread, but Gingerman has been really enjoyable the two times I've gone and the selection is staggering.

Are you from Austin or just visit frequently? Just curious.

+1 on Uncle Billy's if you want good beer and good food.

If you are more interested in the beer than food, the flying saucer and the draught house are for you.

Eric

Several years ago I was there 5 or 6 times. Haven't been back in awhile.

Here's a very late response, but maybe worth it for future reference: North by Northwest Restaurant and Brewery. Great food (a bit fancier than plain 'ol BBQ, but definitely worth it), and excellent beer brewed on the premises. The Duckabish Amber is my favorite regular on tap, and they usually have a weekly stout/black/porter that's been aged in oak (a little pricier, but oh so worth the extra coin).

They also sell 2L growlers, full, for $25, and refills during happy hour are ~$10. The growlers by themselves are $20, so that's a $5 first fill-up. Also, the growler handles are the coolest I've ever seen -- sculpted rather than just a bent bit of aluminum.

Latest posts

Back