Suggestions on my Schwarzbier Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lieb2101

Reaction score
All Grain - 5 Gallons
Style: Schwarzbier
OG: 1.050 FG: 1.016 IBU: 25.8 SRM: 27.23 ABV: 4.45
Mash: Infusion @ 154, Sparge: 168

Weyermann Pilsner 5lbs
Gambrinus Dark Munich 4lbs
Briess 2 Row Caramel 40 4oz
Simpsons Chocolate 4oz
Aromatic 4oz
Simpsons Black Malt 4oz

Hallertau Pellets 1oz @ 60 mins
Vanguard Plugs .5oz @ 60 mins
Vanguard Plugs .5oz @ 30 mins

White Labs San Fransisco Lager WLP810

I'm hoping this comes out somewhere between a Kostrizer and a Dixie Voodoo. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestion! Here's my modification:

All Grain - 5 Gallons
Style: Schwarzbier
OG: 1.050 FG: 1.016 IBU: 25.8 SRM: 30 ABV: 4.45
Mash: Infusion @ 154, Sparge: 168

Weyermann Pilsner 4lbs 12oz
Gambrinus Dark Munich 4lbs
Weyermann De-Husked Carafa I 10oz
Simpsons Chocolate 4oz
Aromatic 4oz

Hallertau Pellets 1oz @ 60 mins
Vanguard Plugs .5oz @ 60 mins
Vanguard Plugs .5oz @ 30 mins

White Labs San Fransisco Lager WLP810

After reading up on the De-Husked Carafa, it sounds like what I'm looking for. Think I need more chocolate?

Personally, if you want a Schwarz, I'd ditch all of your specialty malts and replace them with a little Caramunich III and dehusked Carafa III (aka Carafa Special). The dark Munich might be okay sans the crystal, but I'm still concerned it will be too bready. You want your Schwarz to be relatively dry and clean, which is why I would go with a little Caramunich III over four pounds of Munich. Also, if you go with Carafa III instead of Carafa I, you shouldn't really need the chocolate malt (which runs the risk of giving you the burnt taste that's inappropriate for a Schwarz). As for the aromatic, I'll admit that I'm a German beer purist but I don't see any need for aromatic if you're using the right malts for a German style. And as I said with the Munich malt, you don't want it to be overly bready or full; you're shooting for a black Pils so the aroma should be grainy and grassy with just a hint of roastiness.

Back