Need a hefe kit suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confucius

Reaction score
So, my mother has decided she wants to get into homebrewing. I'd like to pick up the basic equipment for her along with a nice Hefeweizen kit (she loves Pyramid Hefeweizen if it makes a difference).
The equipment I have no problem with. I have an excellent winemaking store nearby that I get all my stuff for making mead from, but the whole beer-making world is a bit of a mystery to me. Any recommendations for either an extract or partial mash Hefeweizen kit?

I opened our first bottle of the North Coast Blue Star Wheat (BYO's 150 clones) and we are quite happy with it. I made it for my wife who does not appreciate hops as much as I do and found it to be aromatic, slightly hoppy at the beginning but no bitterness or lingering hops. A tad fruity with a light body.

A great hefe kit I have done, is the Hanks Hefe Kit from Midwest. My wife and I love this kit. It has a fast turn around also. I think I started drinking mine within 3 weeks of making it.

as far as hefeweizens go, pyramid is not a true hefeweizen. it's an american wheat. but hey, I've heard the AHS (austinhomebrew.com) kits for clones are pretty spot on and delicious

My first homebrew was a True Brew German Wheat kit. It came out delicious and was as easy as can be; two cans of malt extract, 1oz hop pellets.

+1 For Hanks Hefeweizen... Great taste, fast turn... This is one I'll make again no doubt.

+2 for Hank's (from Midwest). I've done this one a number of times, in both extract and after I switched to AG. Very popular with my wife and others in the family. Add some blueberry extract and coriander, and you've got a really good Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat clone.

Hmm Hank's looks like a good choice. How much bitterness is that one ounce of hops going to give it?

depends on your boilsize. the more you boil the more IBUs.

use beersmith to give you an idea. on hefeweizens I shoot for 10 IBUs

Hefe's aren't supposed to be overly bitter, this one seems to be just right. Has the soft banana flavors with just a little bite to it...I enjoy it alot. If you want more hops try an american wheat they are hopped up a bit more.

Back