Natural carbing time hurts delicate flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I find that hop aroma and flavor tend to dissipate quickly at room temperatures (70 F). After a few weeks, the light tangerine aroma from my pale ale dulls. This poses a problem for bottle-conditioning it seems. We have to let the beer sit for several weeks at room temps in order to develop carbonation, but during that time the beer is also aging. Has anyone else noticed this or found some way to combat it. If I can't find a way around it, I might just start kegging.

Yep, that's hard to get around. I have had some moderately hopped IPA's that went into the keg just wonderful, but 4 weeks later towards the end of the keg some of that hop magic just fades away. So it happens in the keg as well.

The one thing you can do in a keg is do another dry hop. You can get 2-3 oz spice infusion balls and fill them with hops and drop them in the keg half way through the keg. You just shut off the gas, pop the top, drop the ball in, reseal and reflush the oxygen with co2. This helps keep the hop aroma and flavor fresh.

Yep, that's hard to get around. I have had some moderately hopped IPA's that went into the keg just wonderful, but 4 weeks later towards the end of the keg some of that hop magic just fades away. So it happens in the keg as well.

I was hoping that colder temps would prevent that quick aging process. I've heard Jamil say that bottle-conditioning works at 50 F, it just takes a long time. Hmmm.

Back