need a light lager recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koerd85

Reaction score
need a light lager or lager recepie.. sorry for the misspell

looking for a budlight style brew

How about something Yuenglingish?

6.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row)
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 80
0.75 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min)
1 Pkgs SafLager West European Lager (DCL Yeast #S-23) Yeast-Lager or 2112.

Mash 90 minutes @152.

The Munich makes it more better. ;) It really sets it apart from a normal CAP.

waldoar15 said:
How about something Yuenglingish?

6.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row)
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 80
0.75 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min)
1 Pkgs SafLager West European Lager (DCL Yeast #S-23) Yeast-Lager or 2112.

Mash 90 minutes @152.

The Munich makes it more better. ;) It really sets it apart from a normal CAP.

sounds really good but i dont have the capability to brew whole grain and can only do extracts

So you can make lagers but don't do all grain? I think all grain is going to be a lot easier than you are thinking. There's some pretty easy ways to get into all grain, search around here for Brew In A Bag, and/or DeathBrewers Stove Top All Grain thread.

a light lager is arguably the most difficult style to brew, largely due to the fact that there is so little flavor that any tiny flaw will be evident.

Unless you have a way to grow up a ton of clean and pure lager yeast, perfect fermentation temperature control, perfect brewing process, and a way to filter your beer post fermentation...it wont be anything like bud light.

ghpeel said:
So you can make lagers but don't do all grain? I think all grain is going to be a lot easier than you are thinking. There's some pretty easy ways to get into all grain, search around here for Brew In A Bag, and/or DeathBrewers Stove Top All Grain thread.

thanks

7 lbs pilsner lme
1 oz saaz or hallertau for 60 mins
1-2 packets safale 05
Ferment at 62f

Cold condition in bottles for 1 month after carbonation

JonK331 said:
7 lbs pilsner lme
1 oz saaz or hallertau for 60 mins
1-2 packets safale 05
Ferment at 62f

Cold condition in bottles for 1 month after carbonation

now this sounds like a recipe

wyeast sells a st louis style lager yeast. basically a buttwieser yeast. for a light lager check out the budclone(sorta) in my dropdown

If I may make a suggestion:
7 pounds of LME will give you a beer a bit stronger than Bud. Also, judging from your other posts, getting the color right (or close) is important to you. For an extract I'd go with something like:
3 pounds Pilsner DME
1 pound rice syrup solids
3/4-1 oz (or whatever it takes to get about 12 IBUs) Hallertauer hops
Do a full boil if possible. Add half the DME to start, then the rest along with the rice syrup solids with 15 minutes left
If you can actually ferment at lager temps, W-34/70 is a good dry lager yeast. If you can't, a good attenuating ale yeast such as US-05 will do nicely. Ferment at temps in the low end, and keep them consistent.

yes via a swamp cooler. i may have to use my carboy to fit it into the cooler that i have however.

Okay, with lager capability, I'd use 3.5 lbs of extra light DME and 2 pounds of rice syrup, and use WY2007 yeast, with the hops in the first recipe above. That should come out pretty close to Bud Light in terms of both flavor and ABV.

usfmikeb said:
Okay, with lager capability, I'd use 3.5 lbs of extra light DME and 2 pounds of rice syrup, and use WY2007 yeast, with the hops in the first recipe above. That should come out pretty close to Bud Light in terms of both flavor and ABV.

hmm.. interesting.. ty

yes via a swamp cooler. i may have to use my carboy to fit it into the cooler that i have however.

I wouldn't ferment a lager without electronic temperature control.

Unless you're looking for a challenge, brewing lite adjunct lagers at home is a exercise in futility, especially when a commercial keg can be had for under $50. You'll need soft water, the aforementioned temp control, scrupulous process, and copious patience. It's more rewarding to brew styles you can't get, or can't get fresh, rather than THE cheapest, most available style of all.

Im doing it for a challenge. I have a degree in chemistry and a endless passion for the difficult. Pluse im not brewing for myself im brewing for other people who happen to only like piss water beers. cheers!

I'm considering doing the same. I've got a good friend that really only drinks bud light, and doesn't drink anything I keep on tap. However, I'm not keen on taking a tap of good beer offline for this stuff.

the recipe i posted is very easy for a 1st timer lager. its closer to a bud from pre WWII than todays megaswill. if you have a dehumidfier set it so it draws across the shirt on your swamp chiller and use the ice bottle trick as well. the first time i did it i set it next to a cold wall in my basement for my "lager fridge".

don't be afraid of the process and don't listen to the naysayers either. if everyone only did what the masses wanted all beer would be flavorless.:D

The naysayers are missing out!! Ive tried the swamp cooler method and would i tell you, the beer came out awsome! Just like a light lager is suppose to be, clean and crisp and with no aftertase (as if its been fermenting at 75F after taste). I
used Poland Springs water too!! and the light lager that i tried taste so much better than tap water beers!! Alls i used was poland springs for the tap and gypsum to take the crap out of it. Dont belive these fools that say you cant brew a light lager, thats the temperature is hard to control, that light lagers are impossible to get just right: ive dont it! ive brewed a light lager, but OK its not as light as the BudLights or Corona's and it is just a hint darker, but it still goes down like a quality lager. If you want to brew lighter than hmmmm lets say a Amber Lager, then these methods I am not familiar with because then you have to use corn sugar and corn sugar can give you a sour taste. The infection comes from the yeast being outcomepeted by its simple sugar competitors present in the batch of beer after the boil. The yeast dont know how to use the corn sugar as fast as the bacteria do!! trust me, stick with LME. thats all!! Cheers!! Ask me questions if needed. Out!

Back