Putting SWMBO on beer regimen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
One of the only complaints I have had with the forum thus far is the BCM bashing. Personally I probably drink more BCM (PBR) then homebrew for a few reasons: Its cheap so when I want to drink a lot it doesnt cost me much in both money and time spent on homebrew, If I drank only homebrew I would be 600 lbs, etc. I think BCM and good beer both have a valid place in the drinking world.

So my girlfriend has always wanted to branch out from Bud Light (basically the only beer she drinks). She has never branched out because she has found something she likes, its pretty cheap and she saw no reason to explore anything else.

But she has been supportive of my relatively new hobby, but hasn't really enjoyed anything I have brewed other than my raspberry pale ale. We came to an agreement that I would make a list of commercial beers. She has to try a new one every two weeks to help her explore the world of brews.

So I need help compiling a good list...I have a bunch in mind to get us started but I won't be delusional in thinking I am a beer expert nor have I tried everything there is to offer.

Any suggestions you have (anything from APA to barleywines) I would greatly appriciate!

From myself and everybodies suggestions, here is my starting point to see where to go:
New Castle (Brown Ale) or Dundee Honey
Widmer Hefewisen (Hefe)
Hoegarrden (wit)
Paulaner (Wheat)
Kolsch (need specific suggestions)
more to come

What is your local selection like? Good, mediocre, crap? Sam Adam's and Sierra Nevada are pretty common in most areas. I'd say for styles, pick an APA, a Wheat, an IPA, a Porter, a creamy stout, blonde, some belgians perhaps. Great thing about beer is that if you say you don't like beer, you've just not tried the right ones.

What is your local selection like? Good, mediocre, crap? Sam Adam's and Sierra Nevada are pretty common in most areas. I'd say for styles, pick an APA, a Wheat, an IPA, a Porter, a creamy stout, blonde, some belgians perhaps. Great thing about beer is that if you say you don't like beer, you've just not tried the right ones.

Bingo. We have excellent selection both at home and at college. She tried my Rogue Dead Guy Ale last night and was pleasantly surprised. She said "I expected it to have that bite/aftertaste your blonde had but it didn't". She was referring to my IIPA so I am thinking that beer with high IBUs are sometihng she dislikes. But she loves blue moon...

A lot of people who don't like other beers will enjoy a good lambic or wild ale. Cantillon and Jolly Pumpkin are two of my favorite breweries when I'm looking for something like that.

Try a hoegarrden and Paulaner. A wit and a wheat. She may like a good Helles or Kolsch as well. Just because it's yellow and fizzy, doesn't mean it can't be good.

A lot of people who don't like other beers will enjoy a good lambic or wild ale.

wow... I love beer, but those are two styles that I cannot stand.

I'd try a Newcastles on her.
If she likes that, give her a Fat Tire.
If she likes that, give her a Bass.
If she likes that, give her a Sweetwater 420.
If she likes that, take the gloves off and give her an oak aged arrogant bastard. :D

wow... I love beer, but those are two styles that I cannot stand.

If she likes that, take the gloves off and give her an oak aged arrogant bastard. :D

Ditto.

And I've found that some people who don't like "dark beers" actually enjoy IPAs or Stouts (because they thought that dark was something that didn't end in "Light")

And with the sour beers coming out, there may be something there that she likes. Just have her try a bunch of everything. It takes a while, but it's worth it.

sampler packs. I make my gf run through the courses with me when im trying beer.

sam adams samplers, magic hat samplers, etc. there's usually a couple that i like, and a couple that she likes, especially in the summer time when they are showcasing lighter beers.

also, our local martins (grocery store) does mix and match sixers and I'll grab some of them when I can.

one that she recently liked was dominion spring buck blonde ale.

I'm not expert, but she knows even less than me about the brews, so its tough. for example, she says she doesnt like wheat beers, but one of her favorite craft brews is Bell's Oberon, which of course is a wheat. And i think any flavor that she doesn't care for means the beer is too hoppy, whether its actually hoppy or not.

try several different brands of each style of beer as they can differ greatly.

Start by going to the grocery store finding the beer isle.:mug:

Mmmmm...beer island.

large_homer.drool.jpg

That's actually a really good sequence. But maybe before Newcastle have her try a Summer Ale, maybe one with a lot of character like Sam Adams' Summer Ale

That's actually a really good sequence. But maybe before Newcastle have her try a Summer Ale, maybe one with a lot of character like Sam Adams' Summer Ale

I don't know.... I can't think of any summer ale that has LESS flavor than a Newcastles.

I literally CANNOT taste that beer.

I'd probably start with some light hybrid beers such as Kolsch, Blondes and Cream Ales. Those are great beers for a starting point IMO.

I'll give the Hoegaarden another +1, tasty stuff, and another +1 on the Dundee's Honey Brown. When my sister lived with me she loved it and brought it home all the time.

Try Newcastle and/or Samuel Smiths Brown Ale or Oatmeal Stout. Bells Oberon and/or Amber would be good choices too.

A lot of people who don't like other beers will enjoy a good lambic or wild ale. Cantillon and Jolly Pumpkin are two of my favorite breweries when I'm looking for something like that.

Funny you should say that, my sister who hates beer LOVES a specific fruity lambic ale

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Just to be clear I don't want to convert her, because if people are happy with a BCM beer and are satisfied very inexpensively, more power to them. She just want to explore and see if she likes anything that her and I could relate to.

We are both the same way with wines. I hate it, she says she likes it, but only ever gets sutter home White Zinfedel. We both want to try wines so my local beer/wine shop has free beer and wine tasting every week

I don't know.... I can't think of any summer ale that has LESS flavor than a Newcastles.

Seriously? What temperature are you drinking it at? I always let mine sit for at least 5 minutes (usually more like 10) before I enjoy. Much malty goodness :rockin:

Really? Something is not right there. When served at 50 or so, the beer is plenty malty in stark contrast to BL...

Make a run down to McLean, VA to that Total Beverage or whatever it is and build yourself a full cart o' beer!

I head over there with my two boys and let them pick my commercial beer based on the labels (one or two). They have fun and I sometimes try something I might not have.

Besides if you buy the bombers it lets you build up your bottle supply!

Make a run down to McLean, VA to that Total Beverage or whatever it is and build yourself a full cart o' beer!

I head over there with my two boys and let them pick my commercial beer based on the labels (one or two). They have fun and I sometimes try something I might not have.

Besides if you buy the bombers it lets you build up your bottle supply!

Ya I go to total wine in chantilly. They have a decent selection at ok prices but my problem with those places is they carry so many beers in artistically adorned bottles that taste piss poor that I want to have a few brew in mind when going in.

Your going down and bad road my friend.

The only beer my wife used to drink was an occasional Blue Moon. Little did I know how good I had it then.

About 8 months ago she developed a taste for my IPAs. Now our liquor costs doubled because she keep drinking my beers!

Me looking in fridge, "Hey! Where did that last IPA go?!"
Wife, "Oh, I guess I'm drinking that. That was the last one? There's a bunch of Blue Moon in there, why don't you have one of those."

edit: btw, this is the second time I've posted this and people must think I'm joking but I'm really not. My wife really has started drinking my IPAs and it truly is not very funny. If you look in my fridge right now you'll find a bunch of wits made by Avery and Shiner Blonds which all were bought for the wife. They've been in there for almost a month. And my IPAs? Long gone.

Why the BMC bashing...

You have stumbled upon a hobby (and subsequently a forum) that prides itself on quality products, made from quality ingredients, that expands people's palates.

By design, BMC products use cheap ingredients (corn and rice), which results in a product that is designed to be lacking in taste. Now, to be fair, I am not against a BL or a Coors out of a cooler on an outing to the beach - as you said, BMC does have its place (although it is a very small place).

The single biggest sore spot is the public perception that these mega-beers are the pinnacle of quality. By all measurables of anybody who studies beer, these are sub-standard products. But because of marketing budgets and strangleholds on distribution, people see these beers as what beer should taste like (which is ironic due to them largely lacking in taste) and all other beers as lacking.

Brewing is like a religion. By truly undertaking it, you charged with trying to show the path of truth to people (i.e. beer is supposed to have taste and character). If you just want to get lit up, by all means, bring on the Bud and Mickey's and go to town. But if you are somebody who wants to drink for enjoyment...

There are people in Kenya who live in huts and have food, and as they've never known anything else, are satisfied. Does that mean you shouldn't show them a better option (AC, running water, and HD TV) if you could give it to them?

Sorry for the soapbox. You just asked a question I felt deserved an answer. I agree the snobbery goes too far a lot of the time. But the sentiment really is shared througout homebrewer-dom.

Why the BMC bashing...

You have stumbled upon a hobby (and subsequently a forum) that prides itself on quality products, made from quality ingredients, that expands people's palates.

By design, BMC products use cheap ingredients (corn and rice), which results in a product that is designed to be lacking in taste. Now, to be fair, I am not against a BL or a Coors out of a cooler on an outing to the beach - as you said, BMC does have its place (although it is a very small place).

The single biggest sore spot is the public perception that these mega-beers are the pinnacle of quality. By all measurables of anybody who studies beer, these are sub-standard products. But because of marketing budgets and strangleholds on distribution, people see these beers as what beer should taste like (which is ironic due to them largely lacking in taste) and all other beers as lacking.

Brewing is like a religion. By truly undertaking it, you charged with trying to show the path of truth to people (i.e. beer is supposed to have taste and character). If you just want to get lit up, by all means, bring on the Bud and Mickey's and go to town. But if you are somebody who wants to drink for enjoyment...

There are people in Kenya who live in huts and have food, and as they've never known anything else, are satisfied. Does that mean you shouldn't show them a better option (AC, running water, and HD TV) if you could give it to them?

Sorry for the soapbox. You just asked a question I felt deserved an answer. I agree the snobbery goes too far a lot of the time. But the sentiment really is shared througout homebrewer-dom.

just curious, who was bashing BCM?

The OP stated that the one thing he didn't like about the forum was the BMC bashing. It goes on a ton(although not in this thread). I was just commenting on his statement.

My girlfriend loves Young's Double Chocolate Stout; give that a try. I tastes more like chocolate milk than "beer".

Start her off easy with a Michelob sample pack - usually comes with a Porter, Wheat, Pale Ale, and a Rye Pale Ale. If she likes any of that you can spend more money on her. LOL

New Belgium also has a "Folly Pack" out with Fat Tire, Ranger IPA, Mighty Arrow Pale Ale, Skinny Dip Summer Ale, sometimes with 1554 Black Ale...

My girlfriend loves Young's Double Chocolate Stout; give that a try. I tastes more like chocolate milk than "beer".

She tried my Rogue Chocolate stout last night and thought it was pretty good, but didn't like the maltiness. So I might have to try out your suggestion!

Start her off easy with a Michelob sample pack - usually comes with a Porter, Wheat, Pale Ale, and a Rye Pale Ale. If she likes any of that you can spend more money on her. LOL

New Belgium also has a "Folly Pack" out with Fat Tire, Ranger IPA, Mighty Arrow Pale Ale, Skinny Dip Summer Ale, sometimes with 1554 Black Ale...

Those samplers sound like a step in the right direction! I will keep and eye out for them (especially the new belgium)

One of the only complaints I have had with the forum thus far is the BCM bashing.

This is because BMC is a corrupt evil machine that tries to keep the little guy down and in some places that includes home brewers. I do not personally try or go out of my way to bash BMC but I refuse just walk away from an open door...BTW if you have not seen it, I do suggest "Beer Wars" the movie...

Personally I probably drink more BCM (PBR) then homebrew for a few reasons:
1) Its cheap so when I want to drink a lot it doesnt cost me much in both money and time spent on homebrew,

2) If I drank only homebrew I would be 600 lbs, etc. I think BCM and good beer both have a valid place in the drinking world.

I split that one for the ease of my response...

1) BMC appears cheap but an AG session brew is near 0.30 (or less) a bottle. PBR averages $6.00 a 12 pack or 0.50 a can... Time can be condensed by doing larger batches.

2) This is a fallacy that I will end here... here is the formula for determining calories for home brew:

. Calories
The number of calories in beer, all of which come from alcohol and carbohydrates, can also be estimated from measurements of specific gravity before and after fermentation. The ASBC ["Caloric Content, Beer-33" in: American Society of Brewing Chemists, 1992, Methods of Analysis of the ASBC. American Society of Brewing Chemists; Homebrew Digest 800-9] gives a formula for calculating calories in beer:

(5) cal per 12 oz beer = [(6.9 × ABW) + 4.0 × (RE - 0.1)] × FG × 3.55

The first item in brackets gives the caloric contribution of ethanol, which is determined from the ABW and the known value of 6.9 cal/g of ethanol. The second item in brackets gives the caloric contribution of carbohydrates, which is determined from the RE (see eq. 2) and the known value of 4.0 cal/g for carbohydrates. An empirically-derived constant (0.1) accounts for the ash portion of the extract. Together, these terms give the calories per 100 g beer. This is easily converted to calories per 100 ml beer by accounting for the final gravity (FG, in (g beer)/(ml beer)). In turn, 100 ml is converted to 12 oz by a scalar (3.55, in (100ml/12 oz)).

Example: The original gravity of a wort is 1.070 and the final gravity of the resulting beer is 1.015. How many calories in a 12 oz bottle?
According to eq. 5
cal per 12 oz beer = [(6.9 × 5.72) + 4.0 × (6.21 - 0.1)] × 1.015 × 3.55 = 230

PBR has 153 calories per 12 oz. for a difference of 77 calories per 12oz serving and the above example is for a "strong" beer at the least. So, roughly 8 "strong home brews" is equal to 12 PBR's for calories.

Since, I only have 1 liver to destroy, I choose to do it on HB's as often as possible and Micro/craft brews when that is not possible. If you choose to destroy yours on cheap store bought beer that is your right but please do not paint HB in a bad way while trying to make the turd that is BMC shine.

The above statements do not account for the happiness factor. If you are happy with an ice cold PBR on a hot day then that is great! I am not trying to stop you from that or take away your happiness! :mug:

On a side note, I am not trying to be a jerk; I am only trying to educate! I honestly hope you and SWMBO get all the beer worked out! Since others have added in so many great brands/suggestions I thought I would try to help in a different way...

Cheers! :tank:

It is also a good idea to make her try beers that you think she will not like, not just the beers women typically like. You may be shocked at what she finds tastey. With the fall quickly approaching I would suggest a Pumpkin Ale. People either hate it or love it, I being the latter. Shipyard and Smuttynose make great pumpkin brews.

I think a good gateway beer for most people is Blue Moon. It has enough fruitiness to make non-converts appreciate beeresque qualities while masking them enough to not be offensive to untrained mouths. Newcastle also does the job very well, but does not lend its self as much to exploring the beer world in my eyes.

Edit: The above method is what I would describe as a flanking method. I recently undertook a full frontal assault on my old drinkin buddy who wants to start homebrewing with me. The full frontal assault consist of about 2 weeks of barraging them with beers such as Stone's Old Guardian, Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale, Cali-Belgique, and a slew of other highly hopped beers. After a two to three week bombardment, you may cease fire and watch as the lupulin withdrawal symptoms kick in and they begin to crave hoppy beers and purchase them on their own. My friend called me with mixed emotions after he cracked open a Coors Light after the attack. He was mad that he no longer liked his old go to cheap beer because it tasted awful, but happy because he knew he liked good beer now. He proceeded to go to our favorite sports bar and ordered a Stone IPA all on his own. The attack was successful, OORAH!

Back