Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
Its that time of year again. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout made its way to southern Ky this week. Did a vertical tasting of 07-08, 08-09, and 09-10. The 07-08 had very little carbonation. Dark Chocolate, Prunes, Raisins, and coffee hit you first. The sweet chocolate flavors definitely shine through with age. No hop flavor at all. Coffee was predominate in the finish. Left me with a strange yearning for Starbucks. Lol. As I tasted the 08-09, and 09-10 the basic flavors were still there, along with more carbonation, and a little more bitterness. Not much changed with the over all flavor profile. The 10% ABV is more noticeable in the 08-09. And even more so in the 09-10. While I believe my ability to taste is pretty good. Im definitely not skilled in the art of writing proper tasting notes. Lol. Nevertheless, this beer holds up with age. So I strongly recommend picking up a six pack or two. Have a couple and put a few away to drink later.:tank:

So I strongly recommend picking up a six pack or two.

I wholeheartedly agree. This is probably the best bang for your buck commercial RIS. Although this year they did switch to 4 packs instead of 6 packs. Brooklyn Brewery said the case price was staying the same, although some places have taken advantage of the change and charged the old 6 pack price for the new 4 pack so watch out.

Yep. 4 pack price is the same as 6 pack price here. I noticed that today. Kinda sucks, but its one of my favorite beers so no worries. Garret Oliver is one of the best. His book "The Brewmaster's Table" is amazing too!!!

Good to hear, I picked up a 4 pack of the 09-10 as they only had one on the shelf. Put two into aging for 1/2 and 1 year tastings.

I thought it was entirely too alcoholic tasting fresh. Hard to give this a proper review though as I worked 18 hours before coming home to this.

My first Brooklyn beer but higher abv's (~9ish is my personal sweetspot in most cases) are what got me into craft beers and home brewing.

So I'm no stranger to strong brews, but literally it tasted almost like the initial taste of a vodka shot. I'm curious to see how age will do this beer.

Just got my 4 pack in albany for just under 8 bucks, along with a 6 pack of troegenador for 11 bucks.
Case price for the BCS was ~$40 I think.

Back