Apfelwein: when to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have my second batch of apfelwein in primary for a month now. I don't plan to drink it for probably two more months. Should I bottle it now and leave it bottled for two months or let it sit in primary a bit longer?

I would rack it to the secondary.. let it sit for a week to get more of the sediment out.. then bottle

I recently bottled mine after a 4 week primary. It had fallen completely clear and when i took the gravity it had already started to carb up. I used D-047 yeast so a little different than the standard, not sure if that made a big difference. My FG was a little high 1.006 (but my Hydrometer is off by .004) so really was closer to 1.002. I bottled since I am going out of town this week for 2 weeks, figured I get it done or may be another month in the primary. From all the posts I found when i searched, the main indicator besides an FG around 1.000 is that it had fallen to be clear. Hope that helps.

My first batch of apfelwein, 1 month in primary and the airlock is still bubbling every 5-10 seconds!

I think it matters what your temp is, my temp is 64deg which will make it ferment slower, so i'm going for 2 months in primary, then 1 month in bottles before I start drinking a few.

I believe cool crashing would work too, or a secondary would clear it out too.

Can Apfelwein be fermented in the plastic 5 gal water jugs? I know its a big no for beer, but didn't know about this...

Correction ed's recipe states After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle,

Can Apfelwein be fermented in the plastic 5 gal water jugs? I know its a big no for beer, but didn't know about this...

Depending on the type of water jugs you can use them for beer too. There is a lot of BS floating around about plastic, but if its food grade type plastic #1 or #2 is fine. If the plastic is one of those two grades don't worry about it.

Patton

Back