twist tops no good??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
Im just drinking and thouroughly enjoying my first batch of beer - it has only been in the biottle for about 12 days but i snuk a taste and loved it so im having a little session tonight. I capped the twist top bottles that we get here in canada and every cap is snug and every beer has a nice head a nice carbonation. Ive seen alot of litrature abput twisties are no good but these canadian ones work ghreat!

grasshopper1917 said:
Im just drinking and thouroughly enjoying my first batch of beer - it has only been in the biottle for about 12 days but i snuk a taste and loved it so im having a little session tonight. I capped the twist top bottles that we get here in canada and every cap is snug and every beer has a nice head a nice carbonation. Ive seen alot of litrature abput twisties are no good but these canadian ones work ghreat!
Twisties work okay if you have a bench top capper.

I use a lot of twist tops here is Aus and i have never had a problem. You do need a bench capper to cap them right.

Some where i read that the twist top bottles from some brewery's glass is too thin which makes them not suitable for reuse.

I have several posts advocating the exclusive use of pop-top bottles. I'm now ready to flip-flop on that position.

Some twist-offs worked their way into my empty supply and I bottled in them without noticing. They sealed fine, opened normally, and I've kept them in the supply.

Given the choice I still feel better using pop-tops, but if you've got twist-offs and need the bottles I say go ahead.

I use a wing capper, by the way.

Some twisties accidentally contaminated my bottle supply also, and unfortunately I noticed a big difference. I use the red butterfly-style capper, not a bench capper, though. Flat beer sucks.

The benchcapper is much easier and faster to use. I have screwed mine onto a large piece of hardwood and can work it without holding the base down

Much argument on twist top v pop top is all poppy cock rubbish. Done properly, both work fine. I have both types and have no problems. Twenty years of bottling both types with no problems. Just check that the rims aren't cracked and away you go. Eventually every bottle reaches a use by date, sadly just like us.

Back