The Michigan beer scene

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
So i am up in the birth place of my girlfriend. Big Rapids Michigan. I have been up here once a year for the past 3 years. Last year i had the opportunity to visit some breweries in Grand Rapids. Did Founders, Old Boys, and Vivant last year. This year we went to Mount Pleasant, Hopcat and Vivant. I picked up a Michigan Brewers guide and it outlines tons and tons of breweries all over the state to the likes i have never seen in Arizona. I am really jealous of the scene up here.

Yep, we're the great beer state. It's no surprise the greatest number of people on HBT are from Michigan, we also have one of the largest amounts of homebrew shops of any state.

We're also one of the first states to legalize small batch commercial distilling.

Greetings to the area! You may be pleased to note that although there is one (kind of) brewpub in Big Rapids, there is another being built as I speak. Should be serving in March if everything goes according to plan (but they seldom do, so expect it early summer I think)

I know the brewer and I think you will be pleased with the beer.

We are going to the "Blue Cow" tomorrow. I am looking forward to the other one opening up. I can say that visiting Big Rapids is a little painful for me with limited access to technology and having to put up with the in laws is tough to endure, but the brewery stops make it all worth it.

We are going to the "Blue Cow" tomorrow. I am looking forward to the other one opening up. I can say that visiting Big Rapids is a little painful for me with limited access to technology and having to put up with the in laws is tough to endure, but the brewery stops make it all worth it.

I have not been impressed with most of the offerings from The Blue Cow. There is something odd about nearly every beer I've had there. I'd rather just go to BW3 and have some Founders, Bells, or New Holland on tap, TBH.

The last beer I had at Blue Cow was a smoked something or other and it was almost like drinking burnt sticks.

Then again, they do have a decent selection of craft beers from Michigan in bottles. Nice, if a bit pricey.

So i am up in the birth place of my girlfriend. Big Rapids Michigan. I have been up here once a year for the past 3 years. Last year i had the opportunity to visit some breweries in Grand Rapids. Did Founders, Old Boys, and Vivant last year. This year we went to Mount Pleasant, Hopcat and Vivant. I picked up a Michigan Brewers guide and it outlines tons and tons of breweries all over the state to the likes i have never seen in Arizona. I am really jealous of the scene up here.

Grand Rapids is ALWAYS worth the trip, especially since Big Rapids isn't that far. If you get locked up there (lol) call Ace Bail Bonds ;)

Yeah, the Blue Cow wasn't anything impressive. I rarely make a stellar beer, but their IPA wasn't as good as what I can make. If I didn't know any better, they were brewing Extract (like I do).

Next year when I come up I can't wait to try the brewery that is currently under construction in Big Rapids.

I went to Horrocks in Lansing on our way home. I envied their beer selection. A whole massive section dedicated to all local brews. There was some guy in there talking about what he had in the fermenter, and wanted to sit and talk to him for his suggestions on what to try from the local scene.

I really want to try some New Holland stuff. Maybe in 2012 I can come up for a week in the summer, do some Lake Michigan Fishing (like I did last year) and hit up New Holland Brewery before/afterwards.

Blue Cow brews extract last I heard. I think they also don't treat the water and I think it needs treating.

The Champagne Chicken is really good and they have a few other very nice meals as well. I owe the wife a meal there for her birthday. They were closed this year because her birthday was on a Monday, and they aren't open on Mondays.

If you come up again to visit NH, try to make it on a Saturday when they give tours. I like their Dragons Milk Stout and their Golden Cap Saison. Pretty much everything they make is very good though.

I'm going to be in GR thur/fri/sat, hoping I have some time. Ironic when I lived in MI I never got into HB or knew anyone that did.

Back