The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw 3 clients, went to the Polish hall with hubby and drank a club soda while he had a couple beers… prepared a simple dinner, and now I’m waiting for the old man to fall asleep watching TV so I can put shark week on. It‘s so exciting to be me.

Back to the boat conversation———

Attachments

• 98CCE46A-E898-42C3-A9FB-A4F70146C3FC.jpeg
    98CCE46A-E898-42C3-A9FB-A4F70146C3FC.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 39
Heads up for you hop heads.

I went out to visit the new Treehouse location out in the sticks yesterday. There's a good collection of about 5 breweries out in the Mohawk Trail area. All within 30 minutes of each other.

Additionally, I finally visited Four Star hop farm that recently opened up a brewery 4 miles from a really nice golf course.

I started up a conversation with one of the family members and they're going to have a "wet hop" festival probably in August. I think it's going to be more a farm family fun music thing and including local farms. But anyways fresh local hops in a month. Beautiful location and bar

Oh and if you're looking for really really good bbq check out North Village Smokehouse. Real southern bbq in one of the local hollows. I don't know what smoked iced tea is but when mixed with Bulleitt?
IMG_20210716_091902.jpg
IMG_20210716_091906.jpg
IMG_20210716_091909.jpg
IMG_20210716_091923.jpg
IMG_20210716_181044.jpg
IMG_20210716_181052.jpg
IMG_20210716_183540.jpg
IMG_20210716_183730.jpg
IMG_20210716_184010.jpg

Last edited:
Aaah I'm an office jockey. Gotta work. I do like NECC. I hit it early in the season as the frost line has moved north and I'm still frozen. The guy in charge of operations is a great guy. Mike. He use to run my old club. Huge beer fan. We'd talk for hours about beer back in the day. Almost had him getting local nanos on tap before he moved to New England. I like that track

So. Having a zen moment, becoming one with my shop vac and borrowed pond pump. Turns out having a swimming pool in the basement, the finished basement, is no fun. Happened about 10 years back, would cost way too much to retrofit the basement with a sump pump and channels, and here we are.
I guess that means I’m on my second lifetime?

I hope my next lifetime has a dry fvcking basement.

Attachments

• 4C14FDE8-34ED-4733-BC7D-4A7E7864AB1B.jpeg
    4C14FDE8-34ED-4733-BC7D-4A7E7864AB1B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
I'm surprised the mushy ground didn't swallow you and your cart.

As for the flooded basement, my condolences as well.
But there's always something: my mom's house has a full pumped sub-slab and perimeter drainage system which has kept up with some epic rainfalls, but it didn't do much when her first floor washing machine blew a hose without her knowing it for a couple of days (she's deaf as a stump).

THAT was fun :(

So. Having a zen moment, becoming one with my shop vac and borrowed pond pump. Turns out having a swimming pool in the basement, the finished basement, is no fun. Happened about 10 years back, would cost way too much to retrofit the basement with a sump pump and channels, and here we are.
I guess that means I’m on my second lifetime?

I hope my next lifetime has a dry fvcking basement.
Total bummer. Enzymatic mold killer is your friend.

Last edited:
What goes well w a flooded finished basement after two and half days solid vac and soggy$hit-ectomy work?

@Yooper’s Haus Pale, FTW

my back may never recover. Thank heavens I was able to clear a way to the beer freezer.

Attachments

• 872E8D4E-694B-4E77-8F4D-9AB6FADD2139.jpeg
    872E8D4E-694B-4E77-8F4D-9AB6FADD2139.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Glad you are done & enjoying some beer, but why would it be cost prohibitive to cut a hole in slab & add a sump? Even if not fully channeled, you'd have something to squeegee into.

If I'd known I was going to put in the endless pool, I'd have added a drywell, but I did such a thorough job w the radiant tubing in slab, I dare not add. I do have a door in that basement & slab is graded out.

Still, I'm resigned to the fact I'm going to go down there one day I see a mess, everything of value is off the ground a bit, and dry wall does not go all the way to ground. Pool has been in since 2005, and it saved my back & ability to work too hard.

Glad you are done & enjoying some beer, but why would it be cost prohibitive to cut a hole in slab & add a sump? Even if not fully channeled, you'd have something to squeegee into.

If I'd known I was going to put in the endless pool, I'd have added a drywell, but I did such a thorough job w the radiant tubing in slab, I dare not add. I do have a door in that basement & slab is graded out.

Still, I'm resigned to the fact I'm going to go down there one day I see a mess, everything of value is off the ground a bit, and dry wall does not go all the way to ground. Pool has been in since 2005, and it saved my back & ability to work too hard.

I was told it would be around perimeter plus across the middle both axes, 15-20k, when it happened last time. The water buckles the floor slab in half a dozen places. This time it was coming from those as well as pretty much all around the whole perimeter.

it’s a once in a lifetime event they say. They said that last time too. Plus, I can’t EVEN imagine having to empty the basement to get it done, and I’ve long forgotten where in the back yard I buried all the mason jars stuffed w a spare $20,000.

According to this mornings NOHA map, air quality alert all over where we live. They usually don't add the islands, but I can tell when it is bad when working outside.

I was told it would be around perimeter plus across the middle both axes, 15-20k, when it happened last time. The water buckles the floor slab in half a dozen places. This time it was coming from those as well as pretty much all around the whole perimeter.

it’s a once in a lifetime event they say. They said that last time too. Plus, I can’t EVEN imagine having to empty the basement to get it done, and I’ve long forgotten where in the back yard I buried all the mason jars stuffed w a spare $20,000.

Best not to listen to those who say "once in a lifetime event". That might have been potentially true using past statistics, but if your flooding was weather related, it will be happening again sooner rather than later, my guess anyway.

I'd cut a 18"x 24 rectangle or so, in an easy to get at place in basement, add a pre cast septic pump chamber or distribution box, or some other pre cast or even plastic box.

Cut hole in slab to fit box you have, fill in seams w hydraulic cement and have a place to put a sump pump, and then when liquid volume is gone, as place to sweep and squeegee too.

Oh yeah, buy a box that already has matching grate. Availble in landscape drainage section.

Last edited:
Best not to listen to those who say "once in a lifetime event". That might have been potentially true using past statistics, but if your flooding was weather related, it will be happening again sooner rather than later, my guess anyway.

I'd cut a 18"x 24 rectangle or so, in an easy to get at place in basement, add a pre cast septic pump chamber or distribution box, or some other pre cast or even plastic box.

Cut hole in slab to fit box you have, fill in seams w hydraulic cement and have a place to put a sump pump, and then when liquid volume is gone, as place to sweep and squeegee too.

Love the idea. Do I have to lose the interior walls and wall to wall carpet?

I'd like to put a pond in my yard. Have perfect kettle holes and would help with the mosquitoes. I am out in the woods tho and the neighbors think it's ok to let their dogs run wild thru my yard. I'd have a stroke if I saw the unleashed great Dane tearing up the liner.

I'd like to put a pond in my yard. Have perfect kettle holes and would help with the mosquitoes. I am out in the woods tho and the neighbors think it's ok to let their dogs run wild thru my yard. I'd have a stroke if I saw the unleashed great Dane tearing up the liner.

land mines.

Love the idea. Do I have to lose the interior walls and wall to wall carpet?

Not all of carpet, just a section that would be easy for you to get to. But when carpet gets ruined, maybe replace w sections of remnant carpet that don't go wall to wall, or less expensive rugs.

When I finished basement I knew the pool would be there, so drywall does not go all the way down so it can not wick if a three inch level of water, PT lumber under it.

In a well installed pond, no liner is exposed, esp near surface. Placed stone lining all around.

But if you let great danes wander in your yard, you likely have other problems, like that other stinky kind of land mines.

There is always the animal control officer, or if you know the owner, a warning.

Dogs going after my gals chickens are in serious danger, though I will give warning if I know who's it is. So far, have not shot any, but has been close.

I have a motto that I've told a couple of neighbors. I really don't care what u do at what time of night as long as no one gets hurt. But please respect my property and if you have a problem please talk to me. I literally had industrial strength fireworks going off in the neighborhood on the fourth. Everyone was pissed except me but when I ask u not to store your businesses landscaping property in my yard there's a huge problem. I need to drink more

Back